Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times

Advertisements

How many of you remember Marshal Stewart's Dome Shadow? It operated for three or four years, 1969-1973. It was located just west of the Astrodome. Marshal was a cab driver back in the 1960's and had a friend encourage him into getting into the niteclub business. He opened the DomeShadow around 1968 or 69 an d Judge Roy Hoffheinz (sp) took him to court for infringing on the name of the Astrodome. Hofheinz lost and Stewart won, making the Domeshadows popular over night.
In 1969 I worked as a niteclub photographer for about one year. I worked the Dome Shadows and another club owned by Stewart on S. Main. The club on S. Main was a black club and I also worked in a country western club. The owner of the country western club had encouraged Marshal to get in the business. Marshal was making more money than the other owner, and this kind of rubbed the wrong way, but they remained good friends.
I remember when disco came in and the dance floor had to be lit up. Stewart was kind of hacked by it but went ahead and put the dance floor lights in and it kept the crowds coming.
Marshal made real good money with his clubs but knew when to get out of it. He sold his club to a local dj, and moved on.

Marshal was shrewed, I paid a commission to take pictures, the waitresses worked for commissions only. A black man shined shoes and paid a commission like I did. Marshal's only expense was $500 a week for house band, plus cost of beverages. He did real well.

Here is a photo I took of the club back in the 90's. The property was still there. I haven't been back since so I don't know if it still stands or not.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...omeShadows.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,839 times
I was too young sorry. Johnny Williams know about the Dome Shadow.
Johnny Williams: Texas Country Music Star (http://www.johnny-williams.com/biography/biography.html - broken link)

Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,750 times
I remember it. Visited out there many times.
I recall The Judge's lawsuit too but didn't recall how it came out.
The bands that played there were nothing special. I think the location brought in a lot of young singles so that's where we young (well, I was young once) guys went to find single women (and some times married ones).
But, Dome Shadows does not bring back any outstanding memories, just some good times past.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,750 times
I remember it. Visited out there many times.
I recall The Judge's lawsuit too but didn't recall how it came out.
The bands that played there were nothing special. I think the location brought in a lot of young singles so that's where we young (well, I was young once) guys went to find single women (and some times married ones).
But, Dome Shadows does not bring back any outstanding memories, just some good times past.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM

I found this on the web. Country Music singer Johnny Williams got his start at the Dome Shadows. from his biography on web:

After his discharge, Williams returned to Baytown. One night a friend took him to the most popular club in Houston, Dome Shadows, and had the bandleader call Williams up to sing a few songs. Neither knew it happened to be the last night for the featured vocalist. The band offered him the job. He took it. He didn't know the band had a recording contract.

At 23 he recorded "Long Black Veil" as a backside record. The all-night DJ at KILT - "you could get local airplay in those day," he says - flipped it over. It became that runaway local #1 hit.

Leaving the Dome Shadows, Williams went to work with Mickey Gilley (before he was famous) at the Nesadel in Pasadena, Texas. Gilley would sing the first 30 minutes of a set with his band. As featured singer Williams would follow with 15 minutes, backed up by Gilley. When Williams left the Nesadel, Johnny Lee took his place. If I had stayed with Gilley I might have been in the Urban Cowboy and recorded a song for the album. Johnny Lee has never thanked me for giving up my job at the Nesadel, Williams says with a grin.

source: Johnny Williams: Texas Country Music Star (http://www.johnny-williams.com/biography/biography.html - broken link)

Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
What stretch of South Main was this?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM

We are creating a page for the Dome Shadows. It is just under construction, but look anyhow and if you have any info you would like to share please email me or use the contact form, Home Page

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

The web site is coming along. If there are band members, waitresses or anyone connected with the Stewart family, we would love to here from you. Let's make this a good web site.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM

I grew up less than a half mile from the club. I was too young to work at the club when it first opened.
However, I do have a couple of stories about it.

My friends and I collected empty cigarette packs. (It's a long story.) We would dig thru the trash there to find exotic cigarette brands.
It was also the first night club I ever went to. We were under-age, but slipped the person at the door a couple of bucks and we got in. This was 1972-73.
We then started going to the 2nd Office Club - Buffalo Speedway and the Southwest Freeway, because they played better music.
Once the law changed and allowed 18 year olds to drink, we stopped going. It was more fun to sneak in.
Also, everything in that area in the mid 60's had a Dome or Astro in its name.
I guess if you could get in touch with the grocery store that was there - it was called Wards, or the drug store - I think it was called Buffalo drug store, they might give you some more info.
I am 53 and graduated from Bellaire High School in 1973. I lived on Bluegate Street, about 1/2 mile east of the club.
Thanks

I received the above email and was given permission to print it.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
No kidding. There are still plenty of vestiges of the Astrodome's influence on names of things around here (I live off South Main just outside the loop). The post office on Braesmain across from what is now a Super Target is still called the "Astrodome Station" according to signage inside.

There's a rusted-out, fading sign of a "Hospitality Inn Astrodome" on Main (near McNee?) that was probably around when this Dome Shadows was there...this is all before my time, mind you, but I eat this random trivial historical stuff up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston