Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Which city do you think is more connected to Houston: Huntsville, Beaumont, College Station? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Which city do you think is more connected to Houston: Huntsville, Beaumont, College Station? Why?
Beaumont because it's more tied economically, even though Huntsville is probably the closest to Houston suburbs.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Beaumont because it's more tied economically, even though Huntsville is probably the closest to Houston suburbs.
I agree that the Golden Triangle has more direct economic ties. However, there are people who live in the Houston metro (usually an outer suburb) and commute to each place daily or vice versa. Coming to the Houston metro to shop or get medical treatment from those places is already common.

The Aggieland Tollway will further serve to tie BCS to the Houston metro, and I suspect you will see a good number of folks who live in west Montgomery County and commute to BCS, either because they want to be close to The Woodlands etc. for its shopping and leisure activities or because in some two-worker households one will work in BCS and other in the Houston area.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I agree that the Golden Triangle has more direct economic ties. However, there are people who live in the Houston metro (usually an outer suburb) and commute to each place daily or vice versa. Coming to the Houston metro to shop or get medical treatment from those places is already common.

The Aggieland Tollway will further serve to tie BCS to the Houston metro, and I suspect you will see a good number of folks who live in west Montgomery County and commute to BCS, either because they want to be close to The Woodlands etc. for its shopping and leisure activities or because in some two-worker households one will work in BCS and other in the Houston area.
Agree.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:37 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
That's a tough one, as all are connected strongly. Interestingly the Texas oil boom of the 1900s started in Beaumont. I believe some of the companies that managed the oil started in Beaumont and later moved to Houston.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
My guess would be Huntsville - in that they are in the Houston TV market area (CBS, ABC, NBC), I think...

I know Beaumont and CS are in different TV markets.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
They're all connected but it's hard to say which is more.
College Station... when I went to A&M (starting in '96) a good majority of students I met were from the Houston area. Also back then we could get a couple of radio stations and Channel 13. Not sure how it is nowadays.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
To me, it was hard to choose between Huntsville and Beaumont.

Beaumont seems to be and feels more "Houston-like." It definitely has the look of an eastern suburb.

Huntsville is more connected by development to Houston. Despite the natural separation, I can see Huntsville becoming more and more connected to Houston and the northern suburbs in the future before I can see Beaumont and College Station becoming connected by development.

I didn't realize how close College Station is to Houston.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
To me, it was hard to choose between Huntsville and Beaumont.

Beaumont seems to be and feels more "Houston-like." It definitely has the look of an eastern suburb.

Huntsville is more connected by development to Houston. Despite the natural separation, I can see Huntsville becoming more and more connected to Houston and the northern suburbs in the future before I can see Beaumont and College Station becoming connected by development.

Agree that Huntsville is the most connected by development. I think there's a lot of interaction between Huntsville and Conroe, and the latter is considered part of the Houston metro. The other two metros have a great deal of rural land still between them and the Houston metro.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
A number of people commute from B/CS to the NW side and vice versa. Same idea as people commuting from the East side to Beaumont/PA and vice versa. The big difference is the type of work those groups commute for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston