Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:22 PM

398 posts, read 394,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
why don't you file a complaint with hpd?
LOL Complaint? HPD wont even show up for hit and runs anymore. Crime is a mess in this city and it will only get worse in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM

398 posts, read 394,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I'm sure they do what they can.
If all they can do is sit on their lazy asses then yes they are currently doing all that they can.

They **** away the funding that they have now. Giving them more wont solve anything. It'll be more of the same with the next idiot running the show.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 AM

391 posts, read 424,992 times
Many, many police departments have a no-chase policy when it comes to sportbikes. I'm not sure if HPD does or not. The fact is that it's much more dangerous for the officer(s) and the public to try to pursue at 140 mph than to use the radio and try to grab them when they slow down.

Practically speaking, at 3am there's very little they can do except scrape the bodies off the asphalt.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
I would love to believe the best about HPD but my experience has shown me otherwise. I was in a hit and run, which left the other car's bumper-- and license plate-- attached to my car. I kept calling to ask HPD if they had followed up on the plate to find out who was responsible. They literally MOCKED me on the phone. Like, "Oh, yeah, we're totally on that ma'am, right after we're back from vacation (laughing the whole time).

And since they let cars all over town speed through school zones where children are crossing the street, every single morning, without ticketing anyone, I seriously doubt you're going to get anyone to pay attention to motorcycles. At least they're more likely to injure themselves than a school kid.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
For every one bad lazy cop there are 50 good ones.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Many, many police departments have a no-chase policy when it comes to sportbikes. I'm not sure if HPD does or not. The fact is that it's much more dangerous for the officer(s) and the public to try to pursue at 140 mph than to use the radio and try to grab them when they slow down.
That may be true but having a no-chase policy lets them know they can get away with it with impunity and leads to it becoming widespread and commonplace. There needs to be some other way of dealing with it, perhaps officers using cameras to identify the offenders then following up later.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
There isnt much you can do. I think this board understands there is worse crime than speeders in the middle of the night. HpD is so silly small of a police agency for the size and economic diversity of houston.

If it perturbs anyone take solace in the fact those bike speeders have an astronomically high chance of a truly horrific death in the near future. Take a count the number of motorcycles launching themselves off the Hartmann bridge each year. Id laugh but im trying to be a better person

I hear them on hwy 90 all the time. Ive heard the sounds of at least one major crash too. And I dont live near 90. Amazing how sound carries and how fast they must be going

Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Last year I saw an HPD constable chasing a motorbike going at 150+ mph on Sam houston close to I-10 around 7.30 pm on week day. It was extremely dangerous not only for other drivers on the highway but for the idiot motor bike driver. My guess is that unless it is a crime suspect, they will not chase anyone on the highway if they are going to fast. Just watch the TX2K meet and greet videos on youtube. They are all on Houston highways late night with no cops to be seen

Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
I guess cops take a see no evil, hear no evil approach to speeding bikers. Too dangerous to chase them. At least these bikers do it in the wee hours of the night--I, too, hear them.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
To the original poster..........

What would YOU do about it ? Come on, give us a sensible, actual solution, please ?

It's Texas, how about just shooting them as they go by ?

Maybe spike sticks put out by a robot ?

Gates at the end of the exit ramps, that stay down all the time ? The vehicle operator has to swipe their DL through the scanner, before the gates go up ?

Timers linked to the camera system ? Fastest speed of the night gets a free 120 day vacation at the crow bar hotel ? Burn their bikes ?

Really, what do YOU think would work ?

Jim B.
How about for them to do the job we as tax payers are paying them to do???? For starters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston