Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM

26 posts, read 114,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family with two kids (9 and 6) are relocating to Houston. My new job is in downtown and my wife's job is in George Bush Airport. We are looking for a place to buy a house. Our budget is under $400,000. It should have very good public schools with low crimes. One-way commuting time should be within 30-minutes for both of us. Which areas do you recommend? I searched online and know Katy, Sugar land, cypress, pearland are very good places to live. But the commuting time for my wife is too long. I would appreciate if you can give a couple of suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Atascosita or Kingwood.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM

Thanks Oildog so much for your reply. Kingwood has very good schools and we are ok with the price and commuting time. Another thing is that we are Asians. Do you know if Kingwood has lots of Asian families? Also I just came across The Woodlands. How do you think it?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:26 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
I second Oildog's suggestion of northeast Houston. Neighborhoods such as Fall Creek, Eagle Springs, Summerwood... are among those often recommended here.

ipuck will be along shortly to tell you Asians live only in Sugar Land. That is not true, and the commute from there to IAH would be excruciating.

The Woodlands is a nice suburb.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 AM

84 posts, read 120,588 times
Nicer areas of Spring (specifically Klein or Conroe ISD) can also be an option for you. It can be more diverse than Kingwood with more international residents. However, not everywhere in Spring is as nice with good schools, so some research may be needed beforehand.
I think there should be multiple threads on this issue if you do a quick serach.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:33 AM

84 posts, read 120,588 times
Additionally, The Woodlands is really nice but long commute to Downtown may be something to consider. If you are ok with that, I suggest you pick The Woodlands over others.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 AM

119 posts, read 249,247 times
Harmony in Spring TX.

Harmony | Houston Master Planned Community

20 minute commute to IAH, homes 280 - 500k. Good schools. 7 minutes to Woodlands mall area. Very nice spot.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM

It seems like schools in Kingwood is little better than those in Atascosita and Spring. The Woodlands is little far from Downtown. I think I'll start Kingwood first, The Woodland and Harmoney Spring second. Thanks y'all for your replies.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderwangsun View Post
Thanks Oildog so much for your reply. Kingwood has very good schools and we are ok with the price and commuting time. Another thing is that we are Asians. Do you know if Kingwood has lots of Asian families? Also I just came across The Woodlands. How do you think it?
I'm sure there are some, its mainly a community of professionals. The big Asian areas are on the Southwest side. Or North of I-10 and Gessner.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderwangsun View Post
It seems like schools in Kingwood is little better than those in Atascosita and Spring. The Woodlands is little far from Downtown. I think I'll start Kingwood first, The Woodland and Harmoney Spring second. Thanks y'all for your replies.
I am going to do my usual Asian immigrants in Houston should only look at Southwest part of town. Maybe even Katy now. TW is nicer than Kingwood or Atascosita, but it very white also. If you don't want to do Katy, The Woodlands is probably your best option with your budget.

You will be the 1% of asian families living in Kingwood or Atascosita and it is a long drive if you want grocery shopping or get dinner as there is none in NE part of town.

Have your wife driver longer through the beltway for a better quality life in Katy. I think you will regret it if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston