Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 28,071 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to Houston from Indianapolis and being that I've never visited the area, I don't know what to expect or where to live.

I'm looking to reside in the suburbs so any area outside of the Houston area would be fine. If anyone is familiar with the Indianapolis area and/or suburbs, I'm looking to live in an area like Plainfield, Noblesville, Avon, Brownsburg. I plan to rent an apt or house at least for the first year until I can get a feel of the area before I purchase a home, but I'm looking to spend no more than $115 - $120K on a home in a nice, quiet, neighborhood with modern construction. If there are some areas of town to avoid, I'd like to know that too.

I'm a single parent with three children so I'm also interested in the school systems and what districts have the best schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 26,121 times
a home in a nice, quiet, neighborhood with modern construction.

With 100K - 120K budget, the chance is minimum to find a home to satisfy your requirement in Houston. Even in some shady areas, most new construction around 150K and beyond.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Check your job location... that may narrow your choices a bit. Some locations are easier/cheaper to get to on a normal business day.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:10 AM

189 posts, read 418,135 times
The advice so far is spot on.

You're going to struggle with that price range for something new. I'm sure you want decent schools and enough room for the kids. You can get something in that price range, but it's going to be older and the schools may not be that good.

New and newer resale homes are selling for around $100 a square foot around here, if that helps. 'Here' is Humble/Atascocita. We've recently shopped around in these areas and prices are similar (Woodlands, Conroe, Kingwood). Inside the loop, in a decent 'gentrified' area and you'll be much higher than that. You could find something cheaper inside the loop, but you probably don't want your kids in those schools.

You need to narrow down the area and the advice to look near your work is good. You don't want to spend 1 hour in traffic each way, every day. What if there's an emergency with one of the kids?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 AM

177 posts, read 201,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Darla View Post
I plan to rent an apt or house at least for the first year until I can get a feel of the area before I purchase a home . . . .
This was also our plan, and it worked out well, but I will say - I've lived in Houston for two years now, and still only feel like I am somewhat familiar with about 50% of the area. Never go to the east or north sides.

Hence you will want to limit your search to areas reasonably near your work as other posters have said, because this city is unfathomably huge.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 PM

19 posts, read 28,071 times
I really appreciate the feedback, everyone. I work in Higher Ed, so my plan is to work for one of the colleges/universities. I'm hoping I can find something safe and relatively affordable nearby so my commute won't be as long.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:27 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
Unfortunately, Houston is significantly more expensive than midwest cities like Indianapolis. $120k doesn't really even buy you safety as far as a single family home, let alone the other things you are looking for. Townhomes will be a more realistic target, but would be older and not really "modern construction".

New construction at $120k is sure to be an area that will go downhill shortly after build out.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 23,202 times
New construction at $120k in a generally safe area was doable when I moved here in '06. Not so much anymore. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Darla View Post
I really appreciate the feedback, everyone. I work in Higher Ed, so my plan is to work for one of the colleges/universities. I'm hoping I can find something safe and relatively affordable nearby so my commute won't be as long.
The only colleges you will find in the suburbs are the community college systems. The universities (UH/TSU, Rice, St. Thomas) are in the Inner Loop (inner city) and are a pain to commute in from the suburbs (personal experience: UH Alum!). The only "suburban" one is Prairie View A&M and is about 20 minutes up US 290 from suburban Cypress.(Prairie View is pretty rural!) No other universities in town besides these 5.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
UHCL has a Clearlake and a Pearland campus now. They don't have all programs in Pearland, but it is a 4 year university with some masters programs.

Pearland Academic Programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston