Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 681 times

Advertisements

A police officer today told me that it matters which way we park if we park on the side of the street of our house. Suddenly it matters. After 23 years of living here and parking whichever way I wanted in front of my own house, it matters.

Anyone know where I can find this written down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:00 PM

682 posts, read 1,944,728 times
That is most likely correct. Any city I've lived in has always required parking facing the same direction as traffic flow. This should be in the code for whatever city you live in.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,964,048 times
I've been driving for nearly 40 years & that's been the rule everywhere I've been as well. It's just not necessarily enforced, especially in residential areas. When it is, it's probably #1--bored cop or #2 neighbor complaint.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:20 PM

15,572 posts, read 7,590,049 times
From the Texas Transportation Code:

Sec. 545.303. ADDITIONAL PARKING REGULATIONS. (a) An operator who stops or parks on a two-way roadway shall do so with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel to and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
(b) An operator who stops or parks on a one-way roadway shall stop or park the vehicle parallel to the curb or edge of the roadway in the direction of authorized traffic movement with the right-hand wheels within 18 inches of the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway or the left-hand wheels within 18 inches of the left-hand curb or edge of the roadway. This subsection does not apply where a local ordinance otherwise regulates stopping or parking on the one-way roadway.
(c) A local authority by ordinance may permit angle parking on a roadway. This subsection does not apply to a federal-aid or state highway unless the director of the Texas Department of Transportation determines that the roadway is wide enough to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.
(d) The Texas Department of Transportation, on a highway under the jurisdiction of that department, may place signs prohibiting or restricting the stopping, standing, or parking of a vehicle on the highway where the director of the Texas Department of Transportation determines that stopping, standing, or parking is dangerous to, or would unduly interfere with, the free movement of traffic on the highway.
(e) To the extent of any conflict between Subsection (a) or (b) and a municipal ordinance adopted under Section 545.302(g), the ordinance controls.
That's the State law

Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,733,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuun View Post
A police officer today told me that it matters which way we park if we park on the side of the street of our house. Suddenly it matters. After 23 years of living here and parking whichever way I wanted in front of my own house, it matters.

Anyone know where I can find this written down?
HPD gets bored sometimes. Watch out parking over your own sidewalk or you might get a ticket as well.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,031,123 times
I kind of like keeping people from parking over the sidewalks. I see pedestrians and kids go into the streets when the sidewalks are blocked on driveways. I live on a cut through street and people drive way too fast for neighborhoods that has kids at play. I like seeing those kids be able to use the sidewalks and keep them safe from too many distracted drivers.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 AM

103 posts, read 167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
HPD gets bored sometimes. Watch out parking over your own sidewalk or you might get a ticket as well.
Because that sidewalk belongs to the city and you shouldn't make it unsafe for people to walk around your oversized SUV

Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,803,408 times
In West U, you are prohibited from blocking the sidewalk with your vehicle unless your driveway is so short that it is impossible not to do so.

Seems like a sensible compromise, at least until the city can get around to moving the sidewalk closer to the street to minimize the problem (on streets where this is an issue, there is a needlessly wide gap between the sidewalk and the street).

Old 02-11-2016, 07:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,733,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb29335i View Post
Because that sidewalk belongs to the city and you shouldn't make it unsafe for people to walk around your oversized SUV
No it doesn't. My property line goes to the curb and I am responsible for fixing it if it sinks, breaks, etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,031,123 times
It's weird how some neighborhoods make residents pay for buckled and cracked sidewalks. And others - the city repairs them. Not sure why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: