Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times

Advertisements

My focus was on using geophysical parameters to interpret well logs. My master's thesis used that to understand climate change in the Mesozoic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 11,455 times
Have any helpful suggestions when it comes time for internships, research for undergrad, etc...

Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
My advice is don't be too worried about the current low oil prices. If you are still years away from a defended dissertation or thesis and at graduation you'll be counter-cyclic and in good position. Remember that when you actually have MS or PhD in hand you may be in a sweet position of low competition (very few students going into programs during the bottom of the cycle) with higher than today oil prices. As an example, I graduated with a Master's just as oil prices were starting to plummet in late 1983. I had a job lined up in 1982 with a major oil co. that was rescinded. I hustled a new job in late 1983 and am still working with that company nearly 33 years later, even though there have been several division closures, office closures, and a corporate merger along the way. Usually these events corresponded with lower-scale price collapses. You also have flexibility as long as you have good university project funding, if companies are hiring in 4 or 5 years, leave with a Master's. If they are still low, stay on for a PhD. I stopped with a MA but I had plenty of funding for a PhD. I regret now not being able to go on to a University professorship upon retirement. When I retire I'll just have to be a middle school earth science teach or restaurant waiter. :-( You just have to roll with the punches!

Re: your age in your 30s. Three of our best technical geophysicists (rock properties from seismic/ log integration with seis, etc) came to the company with their Master's and/or PhD's after a decade or so as skilled construction workers and one as a ballet dancer (!). They had good grades from good schools and that's all that mattered. I think at least my company likes to have beginning workers who have maturity even if they don't have experience in the field, as they will be better team players, more emotional maturity, able to live in foreign countries away from family, etc.

Your background seems sort of half-way between a Petrophysicist (more physical parms from well logs) and a Geophysicist (rock properties from surface seismic and VSP's) . Both are highly coveted, at least in good times. Also, U of Houston has a fine reputation in geophysics for years with Sherrif, Hilterman, Constanya, Thompsen who are industry-recognized pioneers of new methods in geophysical prospecting. I was a fellow Longhorn with Constanya as a student and he's one of the smartest guys in RPFS and log-interpretation (his Dissertation) that I know and worked for years in major oil company research departments and asset groups before becoming a prof. Hilterman and Thompsen likewise ... were used by my company multiple times as consultants. Adry Bissada may be the world's foremost geochemist and hydrocarbon source rock expert - a real key to successful shale exploration and production - and the former head of GC research for my first oil company. Absolutely no need to move up to College Station. UH is the bomb in the geological sciences! Also, you will be in a good position to take summer internships without having to move away from your family and rent another apt. because of all the companies in the Houston area. Now a days, at least most of the majors require proving yourself in one or two summers of project work with a completion by Sept and talk to the earth science community at the end. If you do anything remotely useful to the asset team or research group you are working for you will almost be guaranteed a permanent job upon obtaining your degree.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 02-15-2016 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-15-2016, 02:43 PM

115 posts, read 147,148 times
My husband has an MS in geophysics. 6 years aggressive experience on the fracking end of things and there are no jobs. He got laid off in October. We are holding onto to hope that things will turn around this year. He's got great experience so if anyone is hiring let me know!! ;-)

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Saudi Aramco is hiring unconventional resource (shale, very tight ls common in ME) geos and PE's , ironically, and raiding all the guys being laid off with a lot of experience in N America that they themselves helped put out of work. I think most of the jobs are in Dharan and I don't know if you are down for that, but you might be able to work out of their Houston Inner Loop office. Just remember, in Saudi, despite the lifestyle restrictions, the pay is tax free (apart from the Uncle Sam's small docking for Intl'l wage), housing and car paid, etc.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 PM

We have seen those job postings located in Dharan. I can think of other things I'd much rather do than move that far away. :-).

Old 02-17-2016, 07:22 PM

Thanks I appreciate the advice from you and the rest of the people who responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
My advice is don't be too worried about the current low oil prices. If you are still years away from a defended dissertation or thesis and at graduation you'll be counter-cyclic and in good position. Remember that when you actually have MS or PhD in hand you may be in a sweet position of low competition (very few students going into programs during the bottom of the cycle) with higher than today oil prices. As an example, I graduated with a Master's just as oil prices were starting to plummet in late 1983. I had a job lined up in 1982 with a major oil co. that was rescinded. I hustled a new job in late 1983 and am still working with that company nearly 33 years later, even though there have been several division closures, office closures, and a corporate merger along the way. Usually these events corresponded with lower-scale price collapses. You also have flexibility as long as you have good university project funding, if companies are hiring in 4 or 5 years, leave with a Master's. If they are still low, stay on for a PhD. I stopped with a MA but I had plenty of funding for a PhD. I regret now not being able to go on to a University professorship upon retirement. When I retire I'll just have to be a middle school earth science teach or restaurant waiter. :-( You just have to roll with the punches!

Re: your age in your 30s. Three of our best technical geophysicists (rock properties from seismic/ log integration with seis, etc) came to the company with their Master's and/or PhD's after a decade or so as skilled construction workers and one as a ballet dancer (!). They had good grades from good schools and that's all that mattered. I think at least my company likes to have beginning workers who have maturity even if they don't have experience in the field, as they will be better team players, more emotional maturity, able to live in foreign countries away from family, etc.

Your background seems sort of half-way between a Petrophysicist (more physical parms from well logs) and a Geophysicist (rock properties from surface seismic and VSP's) . Both are highly coveted, at least in good times. Also, U of Houston has a fine reputation in geophysics for years with Sherrif, Hilterman, Constanya, Thompsen who are industry-recognized pioneers of new methods in geophysical prospecting. I was a fellow Longhorn with Constanya as a student and he's one of the smartest guys in RPFS and log-interpretation (his Dissertation) that I know and worked for years in major oil company research departments and asset groups before becoming a prof. Hilterman and Thompsen likewise ... were used by my company multiple times as consultants. Adry Bissada may be the world's foremost geochemist and hydrocarbon source rock expert - a real key to successful shale exploration and production - and the former head of GC research for my first oil company. Absolutely no need to move up to College Station. UH is the bomb in the geological sciences! Also, you will be in a good position to take summer internships without having to move away from your family and rent another apt. because of all the companies in the Houston area. Now a days, at least most of the majors require proving yourself in one or two summers of project work with a completion by Sept and talk to the earth science community at the end. If you do anything remotely useful to the asset team or research group you are working for you will almost be guaranteed a permanent job upon obtaining your degree.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
I am not a geo but agree school choice means very little. Ive worked laterally with Stanford graduates and A&M corpus grads. I got my masters in ME field at UT and our boss was a texas tech alum. My company has a hard one for Lamar graduates. Someone in HR has got to be an alum or something

In this industry military service I could see as being a benefit.

Also agree age doesn't matter especially aince your time has been in school and military.

Get to UH as soon as you can. Get good grades, network, join an association, and hussle for internships every summer. Dont think graduating early is the better benefit the internship is

Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 PM

Im looking to transfer this fall. My grades so far are mostly A's, and one B in a history class. I think I will be able to keep my 3.8 GPA. Thanks for the advice. What are the best ways of getting internships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I am not a geo but agree school choice means very little. Ive worked laterally with Stanford graduates and A&M corpus grads. I got my masters in ME field at UT and our boss was a texas tech alum. My company has a hard one for Lamar graduates. Someone in HR has got to be an alum or something

In this industry military service I could see as being a benefit.

Also agree age doesn't matter especially aince your time has been in school and military.

Get to UH as soon as you can. Get good grades, network, join an association, and hussle for internships every summer. Dont think graduating early is the better benefit the internship is

Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 PM

Look for job fairs held at School. My husband received his Master's from Tennessee and a handful of large Houston O&G companies traveled to Knoxville for the job fair week. They took time to sit and meet with each graduate student individually. Though internships were next to none, due to being out of state, several students were still offered jobs upon graduation. Age his a nonissue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston