Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,747 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atascocita in Eagle Springs. I love it. The only problem is that I now work in the energy corridor (park ten area). I've been working over here for the past 6 months now and I have been trying to deal with the commute. I just can't anymore. It's wearing me down. An hour or more to get to work in the morning and WELL over an hour to get home.

I'm going back and forth between the areas of Cypress (Cypress Creek Lakes/Bridgeland) and Katy (Cross Creek Ranch/Cinco Ranch). Each one is about a 30 minute commute depending on traffic.

Each of the above communities are located in well ranked school districts. This is important as I have 2 children (2 & 6 years old).

WE FOR SURE WANT TO BUILD A NEW HOME.

Eagle Springs in Atascocita is great because you're literally 5 minutes from everything. Cypress and Katy seem much more spread out and it appears that it takes longer to get to stores, restaurants, etc.

I'm looking for insight into the pros and cons of each area from people that have been in these areas for awhile now.

What do you like/hate?

Are you and your family happy in the area?

What makes it a great place to live?

How is the traffic in the morning and evening?

Any help and insight would be much appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Katy will be alot closer to park10 area

Both areas are about equal in terms of economic demographics and racial make up

Katy area cost more per sqft, but that may change when 290 is upgraded.

Overall KISD is a step ahead of CY-Fair ISD (Both are large good school districts)

I'm happy with Katy, but wouldn't mind taking advantage of buying a larger lot/home in Cypress Creek Lakes/Bridgeland before the price jump with the addition of 99 and 290 upgrades.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:10 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
Cypress has more variety, whether you want a wooded master-planned community with great schools (77429) or a large master-planned community (77433) with great schools. Add to that, people in Cypress now have more flexibility for commuting to major employment centers now that the Grand Parkway is open, you'll have good access to the Energy Corridor (20-30 minutes), The Woodlands (20-30 minutes). Access to 249, 290, Greenspoint/IAH and the Beltway (20-30 minutes). Once the 290 expansion is complete next year, the drive into the Galleria and Downtown will improve greatly.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:32 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Cypress has more variety, whether you want a wooded master-planned community with great schools (77429) or a large master-planned community (77433) with great schools. Add to that, people in Cypress now have more flexibility for commuting to major employment centers now that the Grand Parkway is open, you'll have good access to the Energy Corridor (20-30 minutes), The Woodlands (20-30 minutes). Access to 249, 290, Greenspoint/IAH and the Beltway (20-30 minutes). Once the 290 expansion is complete next year, the drive into the Galleria and Downtown will improve greatly.
Please do not give people false hope. While the main stretch of 290 may improve, the increased flow to the West Loop and I-10 will likely result in increased backups from those facilities. On the Katy Freeway, the widening improved commutes (for a few years at least) in the middle portions but created much greater congestion at the West Loop and inside the Loop. Trying to relieve congestion in one place results in more congestion in another place. I thought this would be obvious by now.

Plus when rapid population growth resumes, Cypress will be a beneficiary - meaning that soon after 290 will fill up again.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Please do not give people false hope. While the main stretch of 290 may improve, the increased flow to the West Loop and I-10 will likely result in increased backups from those facilities. On the Katy Freeway, the widening improved commutes (for a few years at least) in the middle portions but created much greater congestion at the West Loop and inside the Loop. Trying to relieve congestion in one place results in more congestion in another place. I thought this would be obvious by now.

Plus when rapid population growth resumes, Cypress will be a beneficiary - meaning that soon after 290 will fill up again.
Well, it likely will improve greatly for a few years until it fills up again as you've described. What are we gonna do.. such is life in a sprawl city. My mom lives in Cypress and commutes on local streets to the energy corridor in about 20-30 minutes as mentioned, so 290 likely won't affect that commute too much. You are certainly correct that the 290@610@I-10 juncture traffic will get much worse when looking 4-5 years or longer down the road.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:26 PM

109 posts, read 141,880 times
We bought in Towne Lake in December. I work in Energy Corridor off of Eldridge and my husband works near I-10 and Mason. It takes him less than 20 minutes to get to work by going down Greenhouse for the most part. For me, I use Waze each morning and take several streets before hitting 6 and it takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes (leaving at 8:15ish) in the morning and typically 45 minutes at night (leaving at 5). I don't mind the commute, but would think you could get to work even quicker by also taking Greenhouse down.

We have been very happy with the neighborhood so far. Everyone's very friendly and there's a ton of activities/amenities.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

167 posts, read 248,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama06 View Post
I'm going back and forth between the areas of Cypress (Cypress Creek Lakes/Bridgeland) and Katy (Cross Creek Ranch/Cinco Ranch). Each one is about a 30 minute commute depending on traffic.
Cinco Ranch is fully built out.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:44 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Add to that, people in Cypress now have more flexibility for commuting to major employment centers now that the Grand Parkway is open, you'll have good access to the Energy Corridor (20-30 minutes), The Woodlands (20-30 minutes).
If you're referring to commuting from Cypress to the Energy Corridor by way of the Grand Parkway, you're way off base. During morning rush hour, you're lucky to spend 30 minutes just getting from 99 to Eldridge on I-10, never mind the time spent on 99.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:00 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
Cinco Ranch is fully built out.
The neighborhoods directly west of them are not however, which will increase traffic on the local and thoroughfare roads. This is also going to be true for the N<->S roads from Cypress to the energy corridor also to be fair though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
If you're referring to commuting from Cypress to the Energy Corridor by way of the Grand Parkway, you're way off base. During morning rush hour, you're lucky to spend 30 minutes just getting from 99 to Eldridge on I-10, never mind the time spent on 99.
My mom gets from Towne Lake to nearby I-10@Wilcrest in about 25-30 minutes every morning. Perhaps you leave at an inopportune time or don't know the most optimal route.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
I said via the Grand Parkway and i10.

I live 3 miles from work in the Energy Corridor. On bad days, it can take me 20 minutes to get to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston