U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM

11 posts, read 53,363 times

Advertisements

First, I would like to say that I hope my question does not offend anyone. That is not my intention. I just know nothing of the Katy area and we will be relocating from Louisiana to the Houston area. Katy seems like a VERY nice area to live but I have noticed there is not a large African American population. My husband and I are white and we have a biological son and an adopted son who is African american. While I do realize that children will be children and all children get teased, I don't want to set my child up to be tortured. I would just like to know if it is a problem there or if there just happens to not be a lot of African American people. I would appreciate any information and/or advice. Thank you!!
Rate this post positively

Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,473,923 times
I don't know Houston or Katy very well, but in general you shouldn't have a problem in Texas with a young child that isn't of your race. Kudos to you for adopting; there are alot of kids out there that need good parents. Heck, if you ever decide on DFW you'd be welcome as my neighbors!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 PM

923 posts, read 3,405,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatharie View Post
First, I would like to say that I hope my question does not offend anyone. That is not my intention. I just know nothing of the Katy area and we will be relocating from Louisiana to the Houston area. Katy seems like a VERY nice area to live but I have noticed there is not a large African American population. My husband and I are white and we have a biological son and an adopted son who is African american. While I do realize that children will be children and all children get teased, I don't want to set my child up to be tortured. I would just like to know if it is a problem there or if there just happens to not be a lot of African American people. I would appreciate any information and/or advice. Thank you!!
Dear Poster,
I find that whatever you look for and focus on in life one seems to find...
Having said that I like to think most folks(and the only people I choose to be around) would NOT be hurtful to the point of overtly hating someone for loving their children...

Old 11-21-2006, 02:45 PM

20 posts, read 117,103 times
Although I do not live in Houston I have visited the area many times and my husband and I are an interacial couple with children. We did not encounter any problems or harsh glares in the city...however when we went out of the city, between north Houston and Dallas we did get some glances but they weren't threatening...seemed more of curiousity. If anything people seemed very friendly and welcoming. Good luck with everything.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 14,966 times
Default There is absolutly nothing to worry about

Hello my name is Daniel and I am a junior at Katy Highschool. Now you are very correct in noticing that Katy has a small African American population. At my high school African Americans only make up 5.4% of the student body. However that shouldn't make you afraid you are going to encounter racism because 20.2% of the school is Hispanic. People in Katy aren't a bunch of white confederates. I really can't account for the lower than average population of African Americans. But I can say that I have rarely seen racism and do not think it a very prevelent problem.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,666,922 times
I don't live in Katy (but very close to it) but I don't think that there will be anything to worry about if you don't make it an issue. Just send him off to school with all the other kids and he will be fine. The fact that he is being raised in a caucasian family should help him acclimate even easier. You didn't say how old he was but it would be helpful if he gets involved in things like scouts or soccer or some other group activity outside of school and it will likely be easier to make new friends quicker. He'll be fine Mom, just relax and come on over.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 128,275 times
I just came across this thread and thought it was a very reasonable and interesting question/dialogue. No reason to worry about offending anyone when it comes to the happiness and safety of children. In my opinion no question is off limits in this regard. As far as the subject at hand, I think regardless of what may or may not be going on in Katy or other places as it relates to race/racism, as a parent (a good parent) you just want to make sure that your child is surronded by people who will respect, encourage, and support their overal physical, emotional, and psychological well-being. That said, I also think that making sure your child receives positive exposure to a balance of ethinicities (African-American in particular), will help him gain a more healthy well-rounded world view. It's always interesting to hear people's perspective on racism, especially in terms of whether it exists or not, when in reality each persons perspective of it is so grossly shaped by their own personal experience. In other words, I wonder if any of those who have commented are African-American, especially those who say...if you go looking, you'll find.... Racism is one of those things that can be so subtle and covert that unless you are walking in the shoes as a receipient (i.e. African-American/other minority), you might not ever realize it exists. I'd be interested, and I think the author of this thread might benefit from hearing the experiences of the "minority" in these neighborhood to get a balanced point of view. That is assuming those who have responded already do not fall into this category.

Be well, live abundantly!!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 53,363 times
Default Thank you

I appreciate all of the responses on my post. Especially this last post. It is easy to say that you get what you go looking for... it is not that I am looking for ppl to be hurtful but I am very aware that it happens and I just want to be aware of the area I choose for my son to grow up. To answer the question of age, he is 3. He is not even in school yet but he will be starting next year! I feel like it is my responsibility to find a place that he will be comfortable with who he is. I often forget that he is of another race. I don't look at him as any different but not everyone thinks the way that I do. We get a lot of looks and that doesn't bother me, people are curious... I just hope it doesn't become an issue for him with other children.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 14,740 times
hey senora,

I just came across your quiry....maybe you already living the life of Rielly in good old Katy..but here it is....

It's sad to know that (you adopted a Black child)without really understanding the situation in America as it relates to people of color. I bow down to you for doing it.

There is racism towards black and brown people all over this country particularly in the south and especially in the Great State of TEXAS. Don't be fooled by some who say they cool (alright with it) cuz they really are not.

Nothing you and I can do about it. It's a desease out there. Just take care of yourself and your children.

if hey over 40...wow...especially hot on the attitude...

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatharie View Post

Last edited by panchoz; 04-19-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 04-19-2008, 08:45 AM

9,273 posts, read 25,263,827 times
The only racism I've seen in Katy is when an Islamic group built a mosque and then asked the pig farmer (whose family farm had been there over 80 years) to get rid of his pigs because pork was offensive. The farmer responded by holding Pig Races on their holy day.

Texans are funny that way. If you want to sow a problem, then you will reap it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: