Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM

448 posts, read 1,587,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Now...I hear things about Houston that make me think twice.

What is the rate of crime in Houston. Has anyone been a victim of a crime?

I've live in NYC all my life and never had a crime committed against me.

I here since those folks from New Orleans migrated to Houston, the crime has
gone up dramatically. Is that true?
Take it from someone who grew up in ENY Brooklyn....5th ward, third ward, Fondren Apartments piece a cake...the best thing about Texas you can carry a conceal weapon. Of course they dont care for liberals down here but hey you cant be accepted everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
I think "liberals" wing it pretty well here. Especially "liberals" who believe in the Second Amendment.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
Take it from someone who grew up in ENY Brooklyn....5th ward, third ward, Fondren Apartments piece a cake...the best thing about Texas you can carry a conceal weapon. Of course they dont care for liberals down here but hey you cant be accepted everywhere.
piece of cake? Let it be known that no hood is harder than the other. The same thing can happen in New York can happen to you in Houston. Also, liberals are accepted in Houston. Just not the suburbs.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Libertarians seem to be accepted just fine, which blend social liberalism and economic conservatism. But last time I checked, good people, whether liberal or conservative, are pretty much accepted no matter where you live around here. The problem lies with proseltyzers who have nothing better to do than wave the brown end of their stick in your face, nutty-San Francisco or annoying-bible-beater style. No one wants to hear that noise. Perhaps it's a coincedence, but many of those with prejudices against ''the xburbs'' (they wouldn't dare set foot in) tend to fall in this category.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
piece of cake? Let it be known that no hood is harder than the other. The same thing can happen in New York can happen to you in Houston. Also, liberals are accepted in Houston. Just not the suburbs.
That's not true. There are tons of Yankees and Califruitians in the NW burbs.

PS, liberals aren't accepted in Texas, they're merely tolerated.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Libertarians seem to be accepted just fine, which blend social liberalism and economic conservatism. But last time I checked, good people, whether liberal or conservative, are pretty much accepted no matter where you live around here. The problem lies with proseltyzers who have nothing better to do than wave the brown end of their stick in your face, nutty-San Francisco or annoying-bible-beater style. No one wants to hear that noise. Perhaps it's a coincedence, but many of those with prejudices against ''the xburbs'' (they wouldn't dare set foot in) tend to fall in this category.
I can't disagree with a word of this.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
That's not true. There are tons of Yankees and Califruitians in the NW burbs.

PS, liberals aren't accepted in Texas, they're merely tolerated.
Same with those transplants. These transplants brought their nationalism with them. I barely see the Texas flag anymore and disparaging comments about Texas come out of their mouths along with nationalist sentiment. I think these people are aiding and abetting the homogenization of America in Texas.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 AM

448 posts, read 1,587,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I think "liberals" wing it pretty well here. Especially "liberals" who believe in the Second Amendment.
I love the second amendment

Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Just because people go to church doesn't make the all bible beaters or proseltizers. Downtown has its share of homeless or near-homeless who conduct shouting sermons on the street corners but the good thing about that is - if you don't want to hear it - you just keep moving on - no one is a captive audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: