U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,426,776 times

Advertisements

They found an Alligator in Lake Lewisville outside of Dallas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 PM

8,730 posts, read 17,847,003 times
lol - when I was attending UH-Clear Lake, I went to my car after class and there was a baby one - about 3 feet long on the pavement in the parking space next to mine. Didn't notice it right away because I was pre-occupied but as I got in the car and turned to close the door I saw it.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,591 times
Have there been any alligators sighted in Lake Windcrest in Magnolia

Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM

37 posts, read 157,281 times
I used to see them all the time at Willow Fork CC in Katy. Up until the drought this past summer. They moved on to somewhere else, I guess? I wonder if they'll be back now that there is water in the lakes again.

There was a 10+ foot gator often hanging out in and around the lake between the 9th and 18th holes last year. Really close to homes.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,318,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomik View Post
Gators go in to salt water to get rid of parecites about this time of the year i have seen pix & been told of gators going up on the beaches on galvaston island more on the bay side & by san luis pass
Are you talking about the Gulf side sandy beach at Galveston? Come on. That would cause an uproar and the installation of warning signs.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM

676 posts, read 1,051,610 times
All these encounters are from the past month

Alligators Popping up in Houston Area

Large Gator on Katy Service Road

Later, gator: Reptilian roadblock turns heads along Beltway

Gator caught near elementary school

photo from 2010

Old 04-16-2012, 01:20 PM

391 posts, read 857,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Ok, you must think I'm nuts, but this is an issue in Florida. With suburbs going further out and the prevalence of canals, small lakes, these toothy ba$tard$ are in fact there...and every once in a while, there are run-ins with humans. (There's a current thread under "Florida.")

Now, I've seen the map of the alligator population and it does extend to Texas. Also, Houston is called The Bayou City.

That being said, how far does one have to go from Houston metro before alligators in small bodies of fresh water become sort of a "given?" Or, in fresh water, such as creeks and lakes, are they removed and relocated as the population starts to encroach into the hinterlands?
Really the only areas of Houston you have to worry about alligators is towards the southwest, south, southeast and east of the city where the land is somewhat "swampier". Although, the closer you are to bayous the greater the chance you have to run into alligators.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM

35 posts, read 52,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Really the only areas of Houston you have to worry about alligators is towards the southwest, south, southeast and east of the city where the land is somewhat "swampier". Although, the closer you are to bayous the greater the chance you have to run into alligators.
We have seen several alligators in the man made lakes in our community, (Bridgeland, Cypress)

Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM

169 posts, read 408,817 times
Out in Cove/Beach City (8 miles east of Baytown), they are as common as mosquitoes. They sit behind the upscale housing developments basking out in the sun. They come up to 3 miles inland in the ditches along the roads of Plantation on Cotton Bayou & RWJ Airpark. If you loose a small pet most people around here will tell you to looking in the nearest Alligator pit. Those people inland and in other parts of Houston need to get a grip and realize that all of Houston was once a swap so all of Houston is fair game for an alligator habitat. All you have to do is watch your children and everything will be fine.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM

14,743 posts, read 30,318,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1101 View Post
We have seen several alligators in the man made lakes in our community, (Bridgeland, Cypress)
So even "The Woodlands" doesn't have an alligator exemption then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston