Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:30 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I think I understand what is going on now. See below.

Law Enforcement Agencies Using Drones List, Map

These are type of drones not sold in Best Buy. Still why the bright light though

All the police drone pictures in google search have bright lights for some reason. See for yourself

https://www.google.com/search?source...9j0l5.5103j0j7

The problem is the light on this drone was not from the spotlight it is from the drone itself. That is what confuses me...
Dude. Have you never owned/flown a drone..? They ALL have lights on them. They are directional lights to help you tell which direction is forward.. Generally a set of green lights on the back, and a set of blinking reds on the front...

As for why it was flying over a "residential area at night".. Maybe they were just taking night time shots of the city and happened to be in your area..? Granted it may or may not be illegal to fly at night now.. Can't say I know exactly the rules the FAA passed a while back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 02:34 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Dude. Have you never owned/flown a drone..? They ALL have lights on them. They are directional lights to help you tell which direction is forward.. Generally a set of green lights on the back, and a set of blinking reds on the front...

As for why it was flying over a "residential area at night".. Maybe they were just taking night time shots of the city and happened to be in your area..? Granted it may or may not be illegal to fly at night now.. Can't say I know exactly the rules the FAA passed a while back.
If I were the police I would not have light right on the drone. That is really stupid, anybody can see it

For directions, they can have a spot light not light on the machine itself if you know what I mean..

Old 03-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
if i were the police i would not have light right on the drone. That is really stupid, anybody can see it

for directions, they can have a spot light not light on the machine itself if you know what i mean..
It wasnt a police drone! And no. The "spot light" shining on the drone wouldn't work. For one, it would be a big distraction from the ground. And two, you still wouldn't be able to tell which direction is forward because they look the same from all sides.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
it wasnt a police drone.
And you are sure because......

Old 03-07-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
And you are sure because......
Because I own and fly a drone as a hobby. I understand how drones work. And night time footage comes out fairly grainy and blurred (what good would that be to police?), due to low light levels and the movement from the wind pushing it (explains your weird "hover from a string" theory..).

Old 03-07-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Because I own and fly a drone as a hobby. I understand how drones work. And night time footage comes out fairly grainy and blurred (what good would that be to police?), due to low light levels and the movement from the wind pushing it (explains your weird "hover from a string" theory..).
I see what you mean

So focusing a spot light is I guess expensive or not doable so they make the device itself shining in light?

Interesting

So the light that comes out of this machine makes around visible and lighted?

I understand all that but anybody can see these things and harm them I think

Old 03-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean

So focusing a spot light is I guess expensive or not doable so they make the device itself shining in light?

Interesting

So the light that comes out of this machine makes around visible and lighted?

I understand all that but anybody can see these things and harm them I think
Its not that a spot light is expensive, but that a) it would be hard to keep a spot light on a drone from the ground without losing sight of it (assuming it had no directional lights on it), and b) all four sides of drones look the exact same, so you wouldn't be able to tell which direction was the "front", for when you're trying to control it.

Im not sure what you mean by the "light that comes out of this machine makes around visible and lighted"? Its just a directional indicator in the drone. Yes, anyone can "see these things".. I'm not sure why thats such an issue.. you WANT visibility of your drone when flying it. As for harming them, as long as the operator isn't "trespassing"/spying on someone, why would anyone bother harming a drone? If you get caught taking out someone elses drone you would be out of pocket the hundreds/thousands of dollars it would cost to replace it.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Its not that a spot light is expensive, but that a) it would be hard to keep a spot light on a drone from the ground without losing sight of it (assuming it had no directional lights on it), and b) all four sides of drones look the exact same, so you wouldn't be able to tell which direction was the "front", for when you're trying to control it.

Im not sure what you mean by the "light that comes out of this machine makes around visible and lighted"? Its just a directional indicator in the drone. Yes, anyone can "see these things".. I'm not sure why thats such an issue.. you WANT visibility of your drone when flying it. As for harming them, as long as the operator isn't "trespassing"/spying on someone, why would anyone bother harming a drone? If you get caught taking out someone elses drone you would be out of pocket the hundreds/thousands of dollars it would cost to replace it.
The one I saw did not have directional lights or spot lights

It was shining by itself as if it is itself a light. So bright that we could not see the shape of it

OTOH I know it is not a UFO now that I am thinking it has a blinking red color light at the bottom

Old 03-07-2016, 03:37 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:

It was shining by itself as if it is itself a light. So bright that we could not see the shape of it

OTOH I know it is not a UFO now that I am thinking it has a blinking red color light at the bottom
Whatever you been smoking, please pass it over. It has been a long day.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:

They don't have spot lights (well, police ones do I guess?).. And the "directional lights" are just two sets of different colored lights. You have to know what color is the front and which is the back. It's not like a huge light up arrow is pointing forward.
As for not being able to see the shape of it.. It was dark. Like 11pm, no? Not to mention, hundreds of feet in the air. Of course you couldn't see the shape/drone. There's a reason they put those lights on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: