Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times

Advertisements

According to Red John, Houston actually has received more Central America migrants than Mexican migrants so far this decade. Will be interesting to see the numbers in 2020. I think the percentage of Houston's Hispanic population being Mexican slightly decreases by the next census. Still over 70% but around 71 or 72%. I'd be shocked if it is under 70%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Houston has a massive Caribbean fest that grows bigger each year, so the word is getting out.

I'm just waiting on the OP to answer my question.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston has a massive Caribbean fest that grows bigger each year, so the word is getting out.

I'm just waiting on the OP to answer my question.
Im sorry but thats a ridiculous way of trying to guess demographics.

You don't look at festivals to see what demographics are becoming. Only population and immigration numbers reveal that.

What the OP going to tell you? "The Haitian community in Houston is going to become HUGE!!!!!!". I know thats what you want to here and what he would like to hear as well, but there is no evidence that Houston's Caribbean community (aside from Cubans) is in anyway going to explode in the near future. He has no way of knowing nor do any of us. You can only look at numbers to reveal what future trends may happen. Right now, they reveal an upswing in Cubans, but little change from any of the other Caribbean Islands.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,931,328 times
Why Cubans? Is it more of the Miami effect? It seems as though Houston is secondary destination for a lot of Latinos after Miami.

I think for Houston it goes Mexicans > Central Americans > Venezuelans > Colombians > Brazilians > Caribbean

Old 07-21-2016, 12:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why Cubans? Is it more of the Miami effect? It seems as though Houston is secondary destination for a lot of Latinos after Miami.

I think for Houston it goes Mexicans > Central Americans > Venezuelans > Colombians > Brazilians > Caribbean
Its relatively recent. In the last few years, Houston has developed into the number 5 spot for Cuban immigration after Miami, Tampa, New York, and Orlando.

Houston actually gets very few Brazilians. Since Cuba and Trinidad are part of the Caribbean, Caribbean's will far out number Brazilians here.

Houston is a top 5 destination for Hispanics. Currently its number 4 overall. LA, New York, and Miami are the top 3. Dallas, Chicago, and San Francisco/San Jose round out the top 7. After that there is a huge gap to cities like Phoenix, Washington DC, and San Diego.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:33 PM

While not Latino per se, I've noticed an increase in the Filipino community in Houston too. It seems as though many go through LA and then to Houston.

Isn't there a Jollibee in Houston now?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:

That's why I love Houston
in Missouri I was lucky to find any mexican

Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Venezuelans and Colombians are some of the nicest people I've ever met and their food is to die for. Great addition to Houston.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:

Once the US government strictly patrolled the waters off of Florida many Cubans crossed into Mexico instead. Once they hit US soil...

So many arrived in Texas.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im sorry but thats a ridiculous way of trying to guess demographics.

You don't look at festivals to see what demographics are becoming. Only population and immigration numbers reveal that.

What the OP going to tell you? "The Haitian community in Houston is going to become HUGE!!!!!!". I know thats what you want to here and what he would like to hear as well, but there is no evidence that Houston's Caribbean community (aside from Cubans) is in anyway going to explode in the near future. He has no way of knowing nor do any of us. You can only look at numbers to reveal what future trends may happen. Right now, they reveal an upswing in Cubans, but little change from any of the other Caribbean Islands.
Yeah I have to agree. It may be getting bigger but people can fly in from different places to take part in it. not to mention, people that aren't Caribbean will attend as well. Houston is actually in a good position to get a good number of people from at least the West Indies. But still, most do not come west of the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston