Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Yes and no.

Yes, Houston does have a very diverse Central American population. Houston would be a prime spot for Hondurans, Nicaraguans, Guatemalans, and Salvadorans leaving Miami. On that level, I can see Houston being the benefactor of some Latinos leaving Miami

No, Houston does not have a sizable Caribbean Island population at all. Houston never has. Even Dallas has the larger Puerto Rican population in the state. Islanders prefer the East Coast. They will choose the Northeast, Central Florida, and Atlanta before Houston if they get the choice.
The Puerto Rican population in Dallas-Fort Worth is slightly larger than that of Greater Houston, being that Dallas is at 34K while Houston is just getting to 30K, however the Cuban population is greater in Houston. Almost twice actually. But as stated, a lot of contract companies have started bringing a large number of Puerto Ricans, Haitians and Dominicans. This number is going to grow. The Dominican population has a relatively large surge from 2010-2012, and it is expected to grow. More companies are bringing them in not only to the Houston area, but to Lake Charles and going as far as Laffayette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
So the Haitian community is about to surge too?
It will surge to a degree. But probably not as much as Puerto Ricans nor Dominicans. Nearing 30,000, Puerto Ricans are already established plus Houston has a large Spanish speaking population already which keep them here. Spanish speaking doesn't directly attract Haitians. With the Puerto Rican and Cuban population seeing large increases, Dominicans are coming as well, and the contractors that are bringing them here and have been bringing them for the past 2 years or so are not only providing them with jobs, they're providing their homes and transportation, as it's been doing with the Haitians. Houston won't have a huge population of them, but it will have an established presence.

I have already met dozens of the new Puerto Ricans and Dominicans that have moved to Houston as well as Southwest Louisiana due to the companies contracting them and bringing them here. Some have even left their respective companies and started working elsewhere. I'm not giving out company information, as respect that I have for them, but I'm letting you know why the population has been growing.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Yes and no.

Yes, Houston does have a very diverse Central American population. Houston would be a prime spot for Hondurans, Nicaraguans, Guatemalans, and Salvadorans leaving Miami. On that level, I can see Houston being the benefactor of some Latinos leaving Miami

No, Houston does not have a sizable Caribbean Island population at all. Houston never has. Even Dallas has the larger Puerto Rican population in the state. Islanders prefer the East Coast. They will choose the Northeast, Central Florida, and Atlanta before Houston if they get the choice.
Is Houston's Caribbean Hispanics as big as NYC or Miami? No. Is it as small as you're claiming it to be? No. Obviously it's not the size of NYC or Miami, however, the rise in Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in the past few years, aren't just because. Just because the Dominican population is only growing in the "single digit thousands", that's still a growth and I will put money on it, the Greater Houston area will be double digits in Dominicans in the next 10 years.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
I was always under the impression that the Dominican population was sizable. Not huge like in Boston, NJ or NYC or even Miami but still big for the South(west).

Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Venezuelans and Colombians are some of the nicest people I've ever met and their food is to die for. Great addition to Houston.
Careful..

Old 07-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I was always under the impression that the Dominican population was sizable. Not huge like in Boston, NJ or NYC or even Miami but still big for the South(west).
Yes, that's the thing. Petermonjello is comparing Houston's population and growth saying "it is not Miami, Boston, NYC or NJ". No one is saying it is. But it's also growing and big for a city East of the Mississippi. Puerto Rico being at 30,000 isn't small at all, which is also growing.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:06 PM

I would guess that Houston has more native PRs and that Dallas gets many more from other states.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Careful..
What? I said that Colombians and Venezuelans have enriched the culture of Houston. I am glad they're well represented.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I would guess that Houston has more native PRs and that Dallas gets many more from other states.
Based on?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Based on?
Just its location on the coast and the fact that Houston has more Latin American appeal. Only a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston