Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

As we know Houston has a huge Hispanic population. Not only that but also a diverse Hispanic population. I know we have a lot of Mexicans, Central Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Venezuelans (I'm one! Lol), Colombians, Argentenians, Chile, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, etc. I think the Dominican may just be the smallest. I only know of a few (including my barber) but still don't know very many. Just a handful. Would Dominicans be the smallest Latin community? Or maybe Bolivia or Paraguay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 AM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
I'm half Dominican and live on the East side (New Caney), but I believe that a lot of Dominicans live on the West side, between 45 and 290. My dad is a Pastor of a big church in NYC in a heavy Dominican part of NYC and quite a few members from his church moved into that area. There's a great Dominican restaurant that we go to in the Willowbrook Mall called Punta Cana that's worth the 45 minute drive from our house!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Probably no more than 20,000.

In other words, pretty small.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
According to this City-Data page there are 497 Dominican Republic born residents in the Houston area. //www.city-data.com/races/races-Houston-Texas.html

Old 03-08-2016, 02:30 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Dominican Republic:
Houston CSA: 4,596

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...on-dallas.html

So not big at all. Houston and virtually any city west of the Mississippi isn't popular for those in the Caribbean. Even LA doesn't have a large Caribbean population. They usually stick to the East Coast.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
According to this City-Data page there are 497 Dominican Republic born residents in the Houston area. //www.city-data.com/races/races-Houston-Texas.html
Yeah but most of the Dominicans I know moved here from another city (or DR itself), so I think that has a lot of effect on why that number is small

Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Seems like I run into a venezuelan everyday

Old 03-08-2016, 04:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dominican Republic:
Houston CSA: 4,596

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...on-dallas.html

So not big at all. Houston and virtually any city west of the Mississippi isn't popular for those in the Caribbean. Even LA doesn't have a large Caribbean population. They usually stick to the East Coast.
This is very true. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, and all Islanders pretty well stick to the East Coast.

Houston's Latin community is more diverse than almost all West of the Mississippi, but it still comes from just a few places: Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Colombia, and Venezuela. There are precious few deep South Americans in Houston and while Houston has a healthy Cuban population, its very small compared to its counter parts on the East Coast as well as Los Angeles.

Broken down:

77.5% of Houston's Hispanic community is from Mexico
7.2% is Salvadoran
2.9% is Honduran
1.9% is Guatemalan
1.6% is Colombian
1.0% is Venezuelan
0.7% is Cuban

And the other 7.2% is "other"

Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is very true. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, and all Islanders pretty well stick to the East Coast.

Houston's Latin community is more diverse than almost all West of the Mississippi, but it still comes from just a few places: Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Colombia, and Venezuela. There are precious few deep South Americans in Houston and while Houston has a healthy Cuban population, its very small compared to its counter parts on the East Coast as well as Los Angeles.

Broken down:

7.2% is Salvadoran
2.9% is Honduran
1.9% is Guatemalan
1.6% is Colombian
1.0% is Venezuelan
0.7% is Cuban

What about Argentenin? seems like there's a lot of them.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Broken down:

7.2% is Salvadoran
2.9% is Honduran
1.9% is Guatemalan
1.6% is Colombian
1.0% is Venezuelan
0.7% is Cuban

If this is from the 2010 census I expect Venezuelan #s to grow a good ammount by the next. Can't tell you how many Venezuelans I know that have moved here after the social problems that went down over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston