Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:48 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Not Houston's Darth Vader, I just see Houston for what it is. Its got a lot of positives I enjoy, but our housing market isn't one of them right now. In the future again Im sure it will rebound, but were at the mercy of oil.

We don't have a diverse economy. If we did we our housing market wouldn't depend so much on the oil market.
The Greater Houston economy definitely needs further diversification I would never argue that it doesn't but I think it may prove to be more diversified and resilient than what many thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 07:40 PM

103 posts, read 167,619 times
Houses I like are still moving pretty quickly in the 3-400k range in the heights

Old 03-11-2016, 07:42 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Not Houston's Darth Vader, I just see Houston for what it is. Its got a lot of positives I enjoy, but our housing market isn't one of them right now. In the future again Im sure it will rebound, but were at the mercy of oil.

We don't have a diverse economy. If we did we our housing market wouldn't depend so much on the oil market.
Houston is a great town, and I think you are going to find that while oil has a huge impact on our economy that the effect of the low price oil is not going to be as dramatic as you think.

Oil as a whole makes up 30-40% of our economy....that is huge! BUT its much less than the 60-70% that it was in the 80's....and it ignores a major factor. While upstream is doing particularly poorly right now, downstream is doing excellent. Refineries, pipelines, exports, etc are all doing fantastic. The east side of town has a massive shortage of skilled labor at the moment, and not nearly enough people who are willing to do the refinery work.

Add to that the giant expansion at the port of Houston, as well as the growth in our medical center, and the LNG export facility in Freeport, we are going to be just fine.

This is as bad as oil is going to get....We are at the bottom....the layoffs have not all occurred, but Oil has found a bottom....I predict, and its just a prediction, that overvalued areas that skyrocketed, will come down 8-10% suburbs will stagnate, and new home builds will fall off....but there won't be people fleeing their homes like in the 80's and Houston will not become another Detroit.

Our economy is very diverse...the problem is that oil jobs pay much better than non-oil jobs, so there will be a small adjustment.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
I guess if you keep telling yourself that, eventually you'll believe it lol

Old 03-11-2016, 08:48 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
I think the fact that the sub $500k houses are holding steady is proof that our economy is diverse.

When average wages at many oil companies exceed $100k of course those folks buy the over $500k houses. But for the rest of us outside of oil, our average wages are lower. We buy those $250k houses. Not oil execs.

I live in a $250-300k neighborhood. Our neighbors by and large are in industries outside of oil.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Prices seem to be holding steady on the west side, although homes are taking longer to sell. The homes that aren't moving at all are those with major issues (on a fault line or busy street, wonky floorplan, etc). These homes would've been tough to sell even in 2013 or 2014.

One observation is that in the 500-1 million range, homes are ALWAYS selling below asking price (but not for much less than the home would have sold for in 2013-2014, necessarily). If you're looking in that price range, now seems to be a good time to buy.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM

82 posts, read 99,347 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...tter-next.html

Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 PM

225 posts, read 519,605 times
^ most of job gains will be from "Leisure & Hospitality" and "Wholesale & Retail Trade". Those are low paying jobs and most of these potential new workers are not in the market for a house.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:20 PM

277 posts, read 304,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Prices seem to be holding steady on the west side, although homes are taking longer to sell. The homes that aren't moving at all are those with major issues (on a fault line or busy street, wonky floorplan, etc). These homes would've been tough to sell even in 2013 or 2014.

One observation is that in the 500-1 million range, homes are ALWAYS selling below asking price (but not for much less than the home would have sold for in 2013-2014, necessarily). If you're looking in that price range, now seems to be a good time to buy.

Well, I wasn't until you mentioned it We were looking in 300-400..but from an investment view...wondering if we should go higher than we planned if this is our 'forever' home. Would builders be more flexible with 'deals' than private owners? I have noticed in our new home search that some properties in the 494k were knocked down to 449...that's a fair chunk...just not looking for that much house as we're nearing empty nest...but a deal is a deal...hmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: