Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times

Advertisements

Tenants are going to do what's in their own interests. They aren't concerned with breaking leases etc. You may have to take them to small claims court. Just because they give you the judgement doesn't mean you'll get your money. Tenants are slick. Just hope they don't destroy your place....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 67,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoons View Post
The lease form is the standard Texas Associate of Realtors Residential Lease form. The form basically says they can't get out except for a few specific reasons that don't apply here. It also says that the tenant can start looking for a suitable replacement (suitable in my eyes) and I can do the same if I choose to (but don't have to). It also looks like we checked off an option that if I find a suitable tenant then I can charge my current tenant 1 months rent as a fee.

I'm just looking for thoughts / experiences with this. This is my first time going through a tenant turnover.

As far as what to pay my agent - how many potential renters are out there looking at HAR.com on their own without an agent?
We rented our present abode without an agent. Also, if I didn't know any better, I would think you are my landlord! We just found a house we would like to buy, but our lease is a minor inconvenience.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 PM

126 posts, read 233,117 times
Thanks for the feedback. Their reason for wanting to depart early has nothing to do with a financial hardship - a more convenient option has presented itself and they want to move on. Again, this is my first time dealing with this so I want to understand all of the rules to play by.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:01 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoons View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Their reason for wanting to depart early has nothing to do with a financial hardship - a more convenient option has presented itself and they want to move on. Again, this is my first time dealing with this so I want to understand all of the rules to play by.
In that case, I'd enforce the contract!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:29 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
As a Landlord, you also need compassion. No, not compassion in the sense of always letting people get away with BS, non payment, partial payment, etc. But what are the tenants reasons for leaving? I ask because a lot of people are affected by the current economic conditions of the Oil and Gas and related industries.

We had a contract with Halliburton, for example, about 12 million per year, just for software. When the bottom fell out last year, we renegotiated our contracts, we pay less, and they gave us some things for free. It is the norm in the O&G industry, we all know that when things improve, so will the contracts. So I'm just saying as a Landlord, you should have some degree of flexibility with hardship situations.

I used to be a Landlord BTW, it sucked, I would never do it again, I'd hire a Management agency next time.
Not trying to sound inconsiderate here, but being a landlord is a business...the rent is your business income...ALL tenants who want to break their lease have a "Good" reason to do so...but their problems should not equate to your problem...unlike a software company, these tenants will not ever bring you new business. There is no good will developed by letting them take your money.

Would you have the same compassion for a down her luck single mom who rear ended your car and caused $2200 damage to it? Probably not.

I always try to work with my tenants, but once they have decided its best to leave me holding the bag, I am always insistent on enforcing the contract...though its only happened once, and they only skipped out on 1 month.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Not trying to sound inconsiderate here, but being a landlord is a business...the rent is your business income...ALL tenants who want to break their lease have a "Good" reason to do so...but their problems should not equate to your problem...unlike a software company, these tenants will not ever bring you new business. There is no good will developed by letting them take your money.

Would you have the same compassion for a down her luck single mom who rear ended your car and caused $2200 damage to it? Probably not.

I always try to work with my tenants, but once they have decided its best to leave me holding the bag, I am always insistent on enforcing the contract...though its only happened once, and they only skipped out on 1 month.
I tend to lean more towards your position on this. It is a business transaction - and I have a mortgage to pay along with other expenses on that house. My position back to the tenant is that the penalty for doing this is one month's rent (which is spelled out in the agreement). Additionally, he is on the hook for any financial loss I have as a result. Meaning if he moves out June 30 and I have someone else in there paying the same monthly rate on July 1, he owes me nothing. But if the house sits vacant for two months (July/August) he is on the hook for both months. If it rents out on July 1 but for $100 less per month, he is on the hook for the $100/month loss i'm going to take for the 4 months he is cutting it short (so $400). Best case for him is he gets charged a one-month rent penalty and I have someone in there on July 1 paying the same amount he is currently paying.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:28 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
^ I agree. As a long time landlord I can tell you that tenants often fail to realize that there is real money at stake for landlords. Like keeping up with mortgages, taxes, utilities and maintenance is somehow free for us.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:31 AM

676 posts, read 931,478 times
If the lease says to break the lease it is one months rent, then thats all you can charge them. You can't tack on the loss for the additional remaining months. Doing so is just asking for legal troubles.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM

The contract states that the lease term is what it is and that no early termination is allowed. From there, it says this: "If Tenant requests an early termination of this lease under this Paragraph 28B, Tenant may attempt to find a replacement tenant and may request Landlord to do the same. Landlord may, but is not obligated to, attempt to find a replacement tenant under this paragraph." So I don't have to do anything at all - just tell him bring me a suitable replacement otherwise he is on the hook for all of it. Or, I can spell out alternative terms as described above. There is a high liklihood that the house will re-lease quickly.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 AM

...it doesn't say they can break the lease by paying one months rent. Who would put such an easy-out in the contract???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: