Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:26 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonyc View Post
Turns out my other kid was accepted into another magnet school. Shocking that they would split the kids up?

One other question: how is the real world school-time commute from places like Meyerland and Bellaire, where we are very partial to living?
The elem schools in the Meyerland/Belliare area are among the best in HISD. You would be better served going to your zoned school if you plan to be in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM

64 posts, read 89,163 times
Thanks for this info. We're more set on the Meyerland and nearby neighborhoods than we are on the school, unless the school was extraordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
Sinclair would be a difficult morning commute around 610 from Meyerland and Bellaire because of the traffic through the Galleria area. If you are set on Sinclair, look to live in the Shady Acres, Heights, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest or Timberside areas to be closer to the school. Where was your other child accepted into the Magnet? If you can move into the zoned area for one of the schools, that might solve your problem.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM

I have been in email contact with the principal and will soon talk to her on the phone. Interesting idea about the bus pickup.

MacGregor is the other magnet for my other kid. I will ask about a transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would find out where the bus pickup is for Sinclair or the other school. You might also call one of the campuses and see if you can get a principal transfer for the other sibling. What's the other campus?

You might be able to get a principal transfer to another campus for both, if they have space available. There would not be access to the magnet buses, though.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM

No, not twins.

Our 3rd grader has much better waiting list positions than the kindergartner. So maybe we'll move up into an even higher position?

How does the sibling preference thing work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
I for one would not want my kids to go to different schools for the hassle alone.

Also, it's not unusual for non twin kids to have different lottery positions for different schools. If they are twins, you filled out the forms wrong. (New HISD policy to not split up for 2016 year)

Ask yourself. What's your lottery position for both kids for your most preferred school. Expect to see significant movement throughout the summer. Sometimes up to 50 or more people will move through the wait list. This was our experience with the magnet program.

If the other child is accepted to a more preferred school accept it. Then your child that was not accepted will gain sibling preference.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Rent in the first year I think before we figure out where to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Would make the most sense to live in Oak Forest. What is your housing budget? For residency they typically ask for a utility bill in your name.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 PM

What a great resource! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The bus information is available here, for this year, but it doesn't change much Transportation / Home

It does appear that there aren't any kids going to Sinclair from the Bellaire area, so no pickups there this year. HISD will do pickups where students need rides.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM

That's great info. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
If you have a magnet seat and request busing, HISD provides it. It may be farther from your home, but they are pretty good about it.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM

That's what I was thinking, unless they got into some extraordinary school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
The elem schools in the Meyerland/Belliare area are among the best in HISD. You would be better served going to your zoned school if you plan to be in this area.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:22 PM

914 posts, read 1,832,630 times
If you got in River Oaks Elementary or TH Rodgers it might make sense to go outside Meyerland or Bellaire. As other posters have said the zoned schools in Meyerland and Bellaire will be very good-- probably better than Sinclair or MacGregor. Renting until you get a feel for the town is a good idea.

Last edited by KatieKennedy; 03-28-2016 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
If you got in River Oaks Elementary or TH Rodgers it might make sense to go outside Meyerland or Bellaire. As other posters have said the zoned schools in Meyerland and Bellaire will be very good-- probably better than Sinclair or MacGregor. Renting until you get a feel for the town is a good idea.
Thanks, that's the key comparison I'm thinking about (neighborhood in Meyerland/Bellaire vs Sinclair/MacGregor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: