Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

I know what he means. I dislike the fake fist pumping house music that comes out of Vegas and trickles down to LA. I search the city looking for good house music and I find it every now and then. EDM is a dumb industry label term for all things "electronica" but there are various degrees of quality. I prefer the good stuff that was built in the 80s and 90s by pioneers like Frankie Knuckles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
The former Scientology church on Main St in downtown is being converting into a live music venue for edm music by the owners of Cle. According to a friend of Zack, the 'main owner of Cle', "It is going to be a much better version of stereo live. They are in talks with live nation to secure exclusive labels and they plan on pumping alot of money on this making this badboy one of a kind in Houston. They will keeping the structure as it is now."

Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Nice! Houston has a lot of fans of good quality dance music. The word of mouth monthly parties at various clubs and venues showed me that the scene in Houston is very knowledgable about the real deal stuff. I can't even find a scene like that here in LA. I remember dedicated house heads all grooving to a funky beat. Real artsy stuff too going from jazzy house to Latin house too. The leaders of the scene would bring in famous house DJs to play at discovery green for free!

Old 03-28-2016, 02:20 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
How about music played on, you know, instruments?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While I see where you're going with that (I'm not the biggest "EDM" fan, but I do like quite a bit of electronica infused music), here is the definition for the word "instrument"...

: a device that is used to make music

So you see, the word "instrument" isn't limited to just brass or strings. The computer soundboards/mixers are still "a device that is used to make music".

Old 03-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Oh I get it, you're a snob, k got it. Clearly you've never heard of Hercules and Love Affair, a nu-disco house music group that uses instruments such as drums, keyboards, vocals and such at live shows. Other groups create their own original music for beats. Real House is an extension of soul and disco music.

The electronic music you're thinking of is Vegas club style fist pumping EDM. I don't have a preference for stuff like that but I wouldn't be snarky about it.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Oh I get it, you're a snob, k got it. Clearly you've never heard of Hercules and Love Affair, a nu-disco house music group that uses instruments such as drums, keyboards, vocals and such at live shows. Other groups create their own original music for beats. Real House is an extension of soul and disco music.

The electronic music you're thinking of is Vegas club style fist pumping EDM. I don't have a preference for stuff like that but I wouldn't be snarky about it.
Where would you put an even such as tomorrow land ? Been thinking about going but maybe I am too old for it now (30s).

Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM

Seems way too much for my taste. I don't like the burning man type level festivals. None of my fav DJs go to that stuff. Most of the DJs I follow play smaller venues, not even big Vegas style clubs. In Houston, the Rent party I was talking about was big but it was still not this bug flashy eclectic wunder-show. Look up Hercules and Love Affair or Masters at Work. The biggest festival I would ever attend is the world music conference in Miami but even that is getting too Vegas-y.

The type of stuff I'm talking about which was abundant in Houston during the mid 2000s you'd find at places like The Jet Lounge in downtown, The Flat in Montrose and one other club in midtown that escapes me, Fox something. They were small intimate settings of true house heads. Usually a much older crowd of 30s, 40s. The music is closer to soul R&B but with a techno/disco beat.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:53 AM

455 posts, read 525,549 times
Quote:
There's no harm in disliking a genre of music, but i thought this whole argument of "real" music and whatever was played out perhaps 40-50 years ago when electronic-based instruments became more widely used in pop music.

To the OP, you might be interested in checking out the Machinedrum show playing at Walters next month. Walters isn't really focused on any particular genre, just traveling shows. As already mentioned, Stereo Live seems to host the larger traveling electronic acts. Get to know the local booking companies and start following them. That would be your best bet.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
There's no harm in disliking a genre of music, but i thought this whole argument of "real" music and whatever was played out perhaps 40-50 years ago when electronic-based instruments became more widely used in pop music.

To the OP, you might be interested in checking out the Machinedrum show playing at Walters next month. Walters isn't really focused on any particular genre, just traveling shows. As already mentioned, Stereo Live seems to host the larger traveling electronic acts. Get to know the local booking companies and start following them. That would be your best bet.
Decades ago there was very little music that was generated purely as a result of programming and software, and it was usually just an accent to the main melody. Synthesizers were still "played" as piano-like keyboards. Direct transmission from physical human activity to the sound-producing mechanism (and no, pressing a button doesn't count). Sure "played" instruments had electronic enhancements, but human physical motion to transmit the desired emotion was the primary method of creating the music. Unquestionably preferable to purely software-generated sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston