Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 29,590 times

Advertisements

I was looking at starting my 3 year old son (who can read, write, count to over a 100, etc) at a montessori in the Sugar Land area. Was thinking of casa dei bambini. I know it got bad reviews here but the Yelp reviews look good. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 123,124 times
My son attends the Casa Dei Bambini location in Riverstone, there is another one in Telfair. Overall, he's had a good experience, my primary complaint with their toddler program is kids from 18 to 36 months are in one class and my son (who started at 18 months) seems to have really learned everything he can after over a year in that classroom. Also, I'm not fond of the ownership, my son has gone through numerous teacher changes with only 1 or 2 days notice each time (even though the school knew of these changes weeks in advance).

Your son seems to be extremely advanced given he can already read and write at 3. Has he been at home or at another school? Given his advanced level, I'm not sure he would really learn much in the 3 year old class at any daycare/school.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 PM

109 posts, read 158,145 times
Cambridge Montessori in new territory.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:20 PM

388 posts, read 686,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
My son attends the Casa Dei Bambini location in Riverstone, there is another one in Telfair. Overall, he's had a good experience, my primary complaint with their toddler program is kids from 18 to 36 months are in one class and my son (who started at 18 months) seems to have really learned everything he can after over a year in that classroom. Also, I'm not fond of the ownership, my son has gone through numerous teacher changes with only 1 or 2 days notice each time (even though the school knew of these changes weeks in advance).

Your son seems to be extremely advanced given he can already read and write at 3. Has he been at home or at another school? Given his advanced level, I'm not sure he would really learn much in the 3 year old class at any daycare/school.
Mixed ages is the typical Montessori set-up. High turnaround is common for day cares.

CDB is not worth the cost. Montessori need not be so expensive, OP. There are plenty of other places that do Montessori a little less.

Have you considered La Maternelle? It is a French academy. It will be set up similar to Montessori (not the same) but they also encourage learning French. It might be something to consider that is different. Your child might be ready primed for learning a new language.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Mixed ages is the typical Montessori set-up. High turnaround is common for day cares.

CDB is not worth the cost. Montessori need not be so expensive, OP. There are plenty of other places that do Montessori a little less.

Have you considered La Maternelle? It is a French academy. It will be set up similar to Montessori (not the same) but they also encourage learning French. It might be something to consider that is different. Your child might be ready primed for learning a new language.
Mixed ages is part of the typical Montessori set-up, but many Montessori schools split younger and older two year olds into different classrooms.

High turnaround is common for day cares that do not treat their staff well. There are plenty of day cares where teachers have had very long tenures.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 AM

388 posts, read 686,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
Mixed ages is part of the typical Montessori set-up, but many Montessori schools split younger and older two year olds into different classrooms.

High turnaround is common for day cares that do not treat their staff well. There are plenty of day cares where teachers have had very long tenures.
In the Montessori school I worked in and the ones I have toured, this is the set-up. The set-up you are referring to is another possibility but not always common. Those that do not know Montessori may not be familiar with it, thus are surprised.

High turnaround is common in day cares and child care, across the board. Having worked in that industry, I know first hand how tiring the work is and how little pay one is compensated. It is sad, really. You are expected to make a profound impact on children, while living on peanuts. Those that stay long term are usually paid more as primary teachers (I'm speaking here to Montessori or certified teachers), live close to a school and don't want to move, have a spouse that makes a bit more so they don't "have" to earn more or are simply comfortable (not different than other industries). Rarely are these kind of very valuable workers treasured the way they should be. Also to consider, a lot of them are college aged or young. They graduate and move on to other roles, like teaching, child development, social work, etc.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:28 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
If you want a true Montessori school, you need to find out if it is associated with the American Montessori International - USA or the American Montessori Society. These two organizations are the primary certifiers of Montessori schools in the US. Note that the term Montessori is not trademarked and anyone can declare their school a Montessori school even if they do not really teach in the Montessori way.

There are not too many in Houston that are accredited.

Sherwood Forest Montessori, 1331 Sherwood Forest, Houston, TX 77043-4637
St. Stephen's Episcopal School, 1800 Sul Ross St, Houston, TX 77098-2610

are two of them for AMS

Houston: Bay Area Montessori House, Inc. (Recognized for ages: 6 – 12)
Houston: Northwood Montessori School (Recognized for ages: 3 – 6+)
Houston: St. Catherine’s Montessori (Recognized for ages: 0 – 12)

are three for AMI

Old 04-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
... Having worked in that industry, I know first hand how tiring the work is and how little pay one is compensated. It is sad, really. You are expected to make a profound impact on children, while living on peanuts...
Yes, this is an absolute shame, especially considering many day cares charge an arm and a leg for tuition. I guess the owners are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,236,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcherian View Post
Cambridge Montessori in new territory.
I've heard really good things about that place - it's a well established school. It'd slightly pricier than the kids r kids types but well worth it, but more affordable than the newer flashier schools.

OP, your 3 year old is extremely advanced. Unless he/she is almost 4, that is far more advanced at that age than people I know who are are now genuises that qualify for MENSA.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 PM

175 posts, read 369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyguru View Post
I was looking at starting my 3 year old son (who can read, write, count to over a 100, etc)
I would keep an eye and consult a psychologist (possible psycho-educational testing or simple IQ testing) when your son is 4 or closer to 5 y.o. He seems gifted. If that is correct, unfortunately, there are not a lot of options for him. At least not in Sugar Land. For his young age Montessori would work for a while, but then you will have to look for another school that would allow his such acceleration. Fortunately, Houston started to get more and more non-traditional schools that work so much better for truly gifted kids who can be 3-4 years ahead in 1-2 subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston