Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 PM

17 posts, read 35,553 times

Advertisements

I have been going to Hershey Park for years to walk and jog. I love it there. I keep seeing more and more cyclists, of all ages, in all shapes and sizes, and they seem to be having so much fun. I want to be one.
I haven't ridden a bike in probably ten years, but I'm sure I still can.
Any advice on bike shops on the west side of Houston? I know nothing about what type of bike to buy or what all I would need, so I'd prefer to buy from a shop rather than Wal-Mart. Thanks!
-Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 02:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
bike barn on wilcrest at Westheimer have great staff!

Old 04-03-2016, 03:16 PM

17 posts, read 35,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
bike barn on wilcrest at Westheimer have great staff!
Ooo that's close, thank you! I am shy since I feel like such a beginner! Hope they don't mind! lol

Old 04-03-2016, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 16,658 times
I recently discovered Terry Hershey park a few ago during my kids Spring Break. Loved it! Excellent for biking. I know you want to go to a bike shop but I went to Academy and got a nice 30 inch wheel mountain bike for about $150. The bike performed well on the track. I don't know the price range of mountain bikes at a dedicated bike shop but Academy is a good place.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:15 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
Bicycle world at memorial and dairy Ashford is a great store with very knowledgeable staff. You won't find $150 bikes there though.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
I second the mention of Bicycle World. They have a very good shop. I also like Spring Valley Cycles which is further in off the I-10. They also have a great staff and a decent selection. Sometimes you can find really good deals at Sun and Ski sports in the Memorial City Mall. They have a big selection and often put things on closeout/sale in anticipation of the new summer stock.

Most importantly, I would suggest that you try at least three different bikes so you can be sure that you're getting one that you really like.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:28 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
I bought by bike at Bicycle World nearly 9 years ago, have been back numerous times for service and accessories, and have generally been quite pleased. Not as cheap as Walmart or Academy but hardly outrageous prices either. Friendly and helpful staff.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:28 AM

234 posts, read 292,729 times
Here is a recommendation for a bike. I was in a similar boat as you, and bought a Specialized brand bike. The model I bought is called the Crossroads. Here is a link. I am quite happy with it!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...ess/crossroads

Old 04-05-2016, 07:34 AM

455 posts, read 525,069 times
I purchased my bike from Blue Line and highly recommend them. However, they are in the Heights, which is not the area you are looking for.

But i would also recommend Bicycle World ... I've been to their Katy location. I wiped out on my bike and messed a couple things up. I brought it in and they adjusted it without charging me anything. That location seemed to have more road bikes than offroad, but i'm sure you can find something.

I know you say you are a beginner, but if you do plan on getting into biking (I don't mean hardcore but at least frequent biking) I would suggest spending a bit more than the $150 special. I have the Kona Fire Mountain, which is a great beginner mountain bike for going off the trails and handling the bumps. You'll get better components and it will be a bit more future proof to support your new hobby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston