Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times

Advertisements

Acres home is split in 3 districts

It'll be years before It'll fully turn due to areas partly in the city and the county and the county offers no kind of development restrictions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Right next to Sunnyside, the 5th most dangerous neighborhood in USA.

Nice.
Well I looked at that place on Google Maps. OMG! Worse than third world country and this is just within 10 min drive from Medical Center
Then North Katy is a true gem among all other areas.

These houses are already gone, but something like this might show up in a near future. Houses are not old and the area is much nicer overall:

6405 Austinville Dr, Katy, TX 77449 | Zillow

6319 Austinville Dr, Katy, TX 77449 | Zillow

Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
I take that back, it is now the 2nd most dangerous neighborhood in USA.

Top 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in America - 2015 - Neighborhood Scout

1 in 11 chance in 1 year of getting any of the following:

Violent crimes include murder, rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 71,684 times
I would wait until I could afford something better.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:21 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:

Glass half full - over 90% chance that you won't be a victim of violent crime.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the info. Oh I've been to Camden NJ that used to be the most dangerous place at that time. And yes, this side of Houston pretty much resembles Camden NJ. How it can be like that here in Houston? Houston reminds me Rio de Janeiro: favelas here and there, adjacent to good areas.

But maybe there are some safe but affordable rural places in Iova Colony and Rosharon areas? I see a lot of poverty along FM521 road, but those places do not look that dangerous. I believe there should be properties under 100K, and it will be within reasonable commute from Houston.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Glass half full - over 90% chance that you won't be a victim of violent crime.
But living as a hostage in a house and being afraid to go out is not a great lifestyle. And if OP doesn't look like majority of ppl in that area (for example, has different skin color), that might trigger hate crimes against him.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
I live in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhood but all ,regardless of color (including about as many Asians as Whites) at Lakes of Fondren, are all upper middle class professionals. One year the only crimes we had were a couple of bikes stolen that were parked outside the garage unlocked. Not a single break-in among 40 or so houses.

On the other hand there are some KKKish neighborhoods in old town Pasadena which are mostly white but I'd feel pretty uncomfortable in. In fairness to Pasadena, there are now some very nice newer upscale neighborhoods. I'm just remembering when they had a clan HQ building right on one of the main streets with a large sign advertising KKK! I think the sign is down but some of the old kooks are still probably living there.

Unfortunately though, Houston close-in suburbs and city are really about 200k+ for a neighborhood that is safe, good schools, not in flood zone etc. 90K for one reason or another will be undesireable. One other place you might find a decent 90k house might be in the old original town of Sugar Land (not planned communities which are much higher) . Probably old and a fixer but you'd be in nice town with new downtown, good schools, good shopping, minor league baseball stadium ,etc.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 04-16-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I live in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhood but all ,regardless of color (including about as many Asians as Whites) at Lakes of Fondren, are all upper middle class professionals. One year the only crimes we had were a couple of bikes stolen that were parked outside the garage unlocked. Not a single break-in among 40 or so houses.

Well this neighborhood is a totally different story and it looks completely different. Probably in 400-500K range, not in sub-100K range. Of course, there won't problems with middle class professionals. But I would expect racism and related crime issues in poor favelas of Houston such as Scott St. area.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:53 PM

84 posts, read 105,771 times
On that budget, avoid mostly everything inside Beltway 8 (much less 610). You need to look a bit farther out to be in a safe area.

Scott st or 610 area on that budget, NO WAY. Scott st is extremely dangerous, the statistics do not say it all, I used to pick up stuff in that area 15 years ago, and even then it was dangerous. It's not as dangerous away from the neighborhoods in the warehouse district, but once you cross into the area where all the neighborhoods are, you better run the red lights, do NOT sit at the lights there, I used to regularly run some of those red lights quite often intentionally to avoid being robbed.

The Houstons suburbs used to be a very cheap place to live, but in the past 5 years it has gone up a lot. It's still not expensive compared to other parts of the US, but some of it has gotten that way.

South Side - Santa Fe or Dickinson or older parts of League City (avoid Texas city and La Porte due to pollution)... The crime in these areas is there, but if you pick the right neighborhood, you can find something in a low crime area. Also the older parts of League City have a few things (but overall League City and Clear Lake are expensive)... A few things in Webster, not much. Forget near downtown Friendswood, it is more expensive for what you get, but you can look closer to I-45 in League City area.

Closer to Downtown - Scarsdale area off I-45, but be careful as this part of town has more crime, though there are "ok" parts.

Avoid the east side entirely and everything inside Beltway 8 generally speaking (except the extreme Western side of Beltway 8, SOME of that area is ok but pretty far out there)...

North Side - Spring (east of I-45 and east of Spring HS) or Humble, Tomball, or off I-45 between Conroe and Woodlands (west or east of freeway a bit), (only a few places, but there are a few). Forget Conroe and forget the Woodlands for the most part. From 59 towards Cleveland (but before Cleveland), there may be a few places (never really looked). Avoid 1960 area and everything South of there, big time avoid!

Far Northwest side, maybe a few things off 290.

I'd say overall best bet for south side is Dickinson, Santa Fe, maybe Alvin or farther out to Manvel.

For the North or NW or far NE side, it's kind of more random, just make sure if looking NE that you are far north and out of the chemical plant areas. Unless you don't mind living near pollution, then that opens a whole new budget of nicer places to you that have "dirty air", because there are some really really cheap places near chemical plants.

Last edited by ScaryTucson; 04-16-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston