Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 891 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Klein/Tomball area from Austin deciding between two subdivisions Laurel Park in Klein ISD and Wildwood at Northpointe in Tomball ISD. The $/sf is much less in Laurel Park but the schools zoned to both subdivisions are good and have family friendly amenities in the community which are important to us. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for or against the neighborhoods or builders themselves? We need to decide this week. I am not familiar with any of the builders and want to buy a home with a reputable and quality builder that will honor it's warranty. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 8,326 times
Hi there, we are currently looking in the same area and actually prefer Laurel Park to Wildwood at Northpointe. I think the $ per sq foot is lower due to the location (by Hooks airport), but these are not large commercial grade planes flying day in and day out so it's not really a concern of mine. We looked at M/I and Ryland and are leaning more toward Ryland due to our preference toward their floor plans and standard options (no siding, all brick/stone/stucco). Also building in a neighborhood that is brand new allows you to have a better pick of lots. Unfortunately we won't be buying for a few months, but we really like the Perfetto with the 2nd floor balcony My sister-in-law built with Ryland in Eastlake in Gleannloch last year and their home is gorgeous. They seem happy there (even though it took an additional 2 months on the build) and are glad the building process is over.

The deal Ryland is running right now is $30K in upgrades/$5k toward closing (if you use their lender)/half off lot premiums.

Also, if you don't use all $30K, you can use the remainder toward the cost of the home (not all builders allow this).

They also offer a contingency program if you have a home to sell, which would be great for us because we will need to sell our home for the equity. The require 1.5% down (around $5K) at the beginning of the process and 1.5% down at the end (plus closing costs and extras). If you go over at the design center, you will only have to pay 30% to the overage on that date. Ex: you go up to $40K with a $30K allowance, you pay $10K*30% = $3,000. Not bad, IMHO.

I only give you all the info on Ryland because the salesman (Scott) really gave detailed answers to my questions, where Lennar, Beazer, M/I and Perry did not (we looked into Hayden Lakes as well).

Good Luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston