Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 983 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a new investment property on April 12, 2016 and want to protest the property value completed by HCAD. My question is: Can I protest the property taxes in the same year that I purchased the house or do I have to wait till the next year to protest?

If I can protest, how do I protest without the Ifile info and account number since this was sent to the previous owner and I am yet to be named on HCAD and probably wont be named until after the May 31st deadline? If I contact the previous owner are the obligated to give me that information?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help in advance.

-BRCRKG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:34 PM

15,533 posts, read 7,565,501 times
Mail in form is at http://www.hcad.org/pdf/41-44.pdf. Regardless of what it says on HCAD, you should be able to protest as long as you can show the deed was recorded. HCAD takes a while to get all of the data from the County Clerk's office into their online system.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:50 PM

24,033 posts, read 15,136,960 times
Does the HCAD show a market value more than what you paid?

Old 12-08-2016, 03:42 AM

112 posts, read 147,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCRKG View Post
I just purchased a new investment property on April 12, 2016 and want to protest the property value completed by HCAD. My question is: Can I protest the property taxes in the same year that I purchased the house or do I have to wait till the next year to protest?

If I can protest, how do I protest without the Ifile info and account number since this was sent to the previous owner and I am yet to be named on HCAD and probably wont be named until after the May 31st deadline? If I contact the previous owner are the obligated to give me that information?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help in advance.

-BRCRKG
I am in the same exact boat as you. Did you file a protest? Any tips or lessons learned?

Old 12-08-2016, 04:23 AM

392 posts, read 318,429 times
I believe that you have to be the record owner on January 1 of the year. If you purchased after Jan 1 but before the protest deadline, then ask the previous owner to assign the rights to protest the eval to you. There is a form for the owner to authorize a professional firm to protest such as O'Connor. This is the simplest way that I can think of.

If you are asking this now, then the deadline to file a protest probably had past.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:22 AM

112 posts, read 147,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
I believe that you have to be the record owner on January 1 of the year. If you purchased after Jan 1 but before the protest deadline, then ask the previous owner to assign the rights to protest the eval to you. There is a form for the owner to authorize a professional firm to protest such as O'Connor. This is the simplest way that I can think of.

If you are asking this now, then the deadline to file a protest probably had past.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just want to get my ducks in a row for next year. I guess will just hand it over to Bettencourt.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,024,861 times
I'm going ahead with a formal judicial review on mine. HCAD did not reduce it under normal methods and i'm the highest value house on the street by $20k+ and not even the biggest square footage on the street. I don't understand how they think that's OK.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:02 AM

24,033 posts, read 15,136,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I'm going ahead with a formal judicial review on mine. HCAD did not reduce it under normal methods and i'm the highest value house on the street by $20k+ and not even the biggest square footage on the street. I don't understand how they think that's OK.
What is a formal judicial review?

Mediation? Lawsuit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston