Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times

Advertisements

On the cool TC, Galveston, La marque look like towdown until you get to NASA Rd 1 and Webster area, I wonder the reason is because its Galveston County or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew2008 View Post
Overall Houston is no place for anyone other than those who were born here! Racism/Hate is profusely widespread. Houston is similar to some parts of south eastern states GA. SC. NC. VA. these people just don't want nothing out of life. I have been reading a lot of posts on people trying to make Houston out to be what it is not! Any city can build clubs/bars/boutiques/restaurants/malls etc...and the small amount of mexicans, asians, and even fewer african americans including those who evcauated from New Orleans does not make the city cosmopolitan or other. The fact remains the entire city of Houston has more caucasians than any other race it is instilled with an air of racism/hate that lingers throughout the entire city and all its surrounding areas/suburbs like smog in Los Angeles!
I can only agree with the bolded part of yours statemnt. There is racism everywhere and I've never really felt racism from Caucasions at all.

But the bolded facts that you state is a hard pill for many Houstonians to swallow. They want to live in their pretty lil bubble and profess what this place percieved as being instead of what it actually is. Its ridicoulus.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I can only agree with the bolded part of yours statemnt. There is racism everywhere and I've never really felt racism from Caucasions at all.

But the bolded facts that you state is a hard pill for many Houstonians to swallow. They want to live in their pretty lil bubble and profess what this place percieved as being instead of what it actually is. Its ridicoulus.
Take the offtopic bull**** out of my thread, son. This isn't even about Houston.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
On the cool TC, Galveston, La marque look like towdown until you get to NASA Rd 1 and Webster area, I wonder the reason is because its Galveston County or what.

I'd say it ends around FM 646 or 518 and out towards Kemah. Otherwise much of Galveston County seems pretty stagnant.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Most industrial areas aren't too pretty... Texas City fits the norm.
The east side is trying to change that with the stars project. I really like the Texas History murals on the storage tanks. The other plans they have in store for north Pasadena, Deer Park, and LaPorte are pretty interesting too. Will be nice to see the results in the next few years.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM

OMG THEIRS A OPEN SIGN!!!1!!!1!!!!1!!!!! LOLOL

Hey look there's a person!

So yeah, I had actually gone down there with a camera because somebody somewhere else requested I do it. And I'm cool like that. Thing is I left the flash card in the laptop at home. D'oh.

Oh, but you can watch minor league baseball in TC:

Anyway, that's all for today.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,424 times
Take it from another Toxic City Survivor; jfre81 speaks the undeniable, mind-numbingly ugly, Truth. Texas City really does suck...oops, stink! The same goes for Hell's Sister City, Galveston. It might be a little off-topic; but TC "Lifers" will like it--the only thing worse than being trapped for an eternity in Texas City would be a "life sentence" on the third-world-prison-island of Galvetraz! The Bay is polluted with toxic chemicals around Texas City (don't eat the crabs); however, the City of Galveston publishes FECAL BACTERIA COUNT WARNINGS for its beaches! This was PRIOR to Hurricane Ike (no excuses). If you see something brown floating in the water at a Galveston beach, DO NOT pick it up and bite into it (a la Bill Murray in the film Caddyshack). It most likely WILL NOT be a Baby Ruth...

Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Bump!

So are you a native or did you have the good fortune to end up there by other means?

I don't want to sound too negative though - there are some great people in my hometown.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,424 times
Born, raised and unfortunately brain-damaged by all of that benzene, butadiene and other unknown mutagens! Someone still living in Texas City recently told me that a school was built on the old city dump site--past Twenty Fifth Avenue. That can't be right, can it?

P.s. My previous comments were a validation of your (jfre81's) original post; with a well-deserved shot at Galvetraz...

Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Hmmm....

25th Avenue....there's Northside Elementary just on the south side of 25th, otherwise known as Loop 197. I can't think of any schools to the north. There are some new-ish developments in that direction though.

I've lived all over town at one point or another, from the Chelseas to Pilgrim's Landing off Moses Lake and several spots around and in between. Haven't laid my head in the ol' hometown on a regular basis since 2002.

I'm not going to rip too much on Galveston. I don't want to live there, to be sure, and I wasn't too fond of working there - although getting delayed going home because of the causeway construction helped with that. I do like drinking beer on the Strand from time to time. I helped bury the old daily paper in TC. Still got maybe a half dozen copies of the final edition. I should see if the museum on Sixth Street has any and make them an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston