Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Combining threads about flooding in Northwest Houston and Cypress areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Something that I feel Houston is missing is parks that are also used as "easily flooded areas"
People tell me that highways are designed to flood (don't know how that s... makes sense)
Why not take easily flooded areas, make them into public parks and then when it rains, those parks get flooded?

I've seen that in several cities, but not in Houston where it seems like investors want to use every square inch to build houses and the government allows them to do that.
Huh? You just perfectly described Buffalo Bayou Park, and Willow Waterhole, to name a few..

Old 04-19-2016, 10:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
So I am in the house market and I have been looking into the new community called Elyson. I am very familiar with the area and I am glad this type of MPC is being build out there by Newland Communities. I've always known this area has flooded but never this bad, April 2016. From 529 and Katy Hockley to 529 and grand parkway was not passible unless you had a high up vehicle. Peek, Porter, Katy Hockley, Stockdick school road, Beckendorf and Katy Hockley cutoff was under water. I'm not sure what Elyson has in plans to alleviate all this flooding but it has me second guessing about buying into this community. I just picture another Meyerland or Bellaire in this new developed area. If there is a plan in place, how will this cost be passed onto the buyers? Will the property taxes be high compared to South Katy? I was shocked that Ventana Lakes is 3.75%, and to add, that community held up fine during the flood.

If anyone knows or can share some information regarding flood plans in the Northwest Katy/Cypress area, would be greatly appreciated.
You are "glad this type of MPC is being build out there", yet you are concerned about the flooding?

Uhh.. You do realize that communities like these "being build out there" are part of why Houston floods so bad, right? All of that area is known as the Katy Prairie. When you start filling those prairie lands with development, you are essentially dumping concrete down natures drain, blocking up the prairies ability to absorb flood waters. With nowhere to go, the water inundates the developed areas.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:05 AM

234 posts, read 425,091 times
Yes, I'm concerned about the flooding with Elyson out there and yes I'm glad this type of MPC is being built out there for economic reason. That's my point...how do you balance the economics with concern for nature, safety, peoples investments, etc.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 AM

182 posts, read 350,345 times
Fairfield did pretty well during all the rain. I guess this was a good test.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 AM

186 posts, read 209,126 times
We just bought a new build site in a newish neighborhood up in Cypress. My boss currently lives just down the street from our new lot (construction was supposed to start this week - LOL) and was able to check on it for us on Monday. A couple of the streets flooded a bit and both entrances to the neighborhood got it pretty good but as far as the homes (even the ones in flood plain at the front of the neighborhood) didn't get flooded at all. Our lot backs up to a large retention area and while it filled up to capacity, it was still well away from the back of our lot. No standing water on or around our lot either. All in all, very happy with our spot. Hate to say convenient that we got to see this before moving in, but nice to know anyway.

Keeping that area in good thoughts as creeks and rivers continue to rise and more rain heads toward us this evening.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:42 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
Its to bad people don't care anything about checking the flood plain before they buy a house.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:15 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Its to bad people don't care anything about checking the flood plain before they buy a house.
I do it every time
I live right between two creeks that are 7 miles away from each other.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM

182 posts, read 350,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
From what I have seen, 99% of all the reported flooded places are within the 100/500yr flood plain designated areas.

Even so called homes that have never flooded before, are actually in the flood plain area.

Use the website. It is VERY useful.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
Jersey Village area residents can access flood insurance maps from the JV city website:
http://www.jerseyvillage.info/defaul....flood_control

None of the homes in my neighborhood (north of 290, between FNH and Gessner) flooded, but we are outside the 500 year flood plain. Two miles west there was flooding in JV near Philippine and the Beltway (as seen on TV) but I don't think the flooding was as widespread as in areas further out southwest (Bear Creek area) to northwest (Cypress Creek area). Correct me if I'm wrong.

During heavy rain events I check the bayou levels at the Harris County Flood Warning System site:
Harris County Flood Warning System - Harris County, Texas

We are near Rolling Fork Creek which flows a half mile south through Burger Estates into White Oak Bayou. Over the last fifteen years the Flood Control District has bought out and razed the homes there that flooded where this usually sleepy creek meets the bayou. I took this photo Monday morning as the creek rose to the height of the bridge, 10-15 feet above usual level. Usually the creek is only a few feet wide, maybe 1-2 feet deep?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: