Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 10,388 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone I have a question. I have a 3 year old who has high functioning autism. He is currently enrolled in a full-time ABA program. My question is should I keep him in the ABA or put him in PPCD? We currently reside in Montgomery (14 miles west of conroe), but I am wanting to move closer to Houston. Im considering Katy, but which katy elementary has the best special education program with low student/teacher ratios? What neighborhood should I look into? My price range is 150k. I used to go to Nottingham country elementary when I was younger (that was over 20 years ago...I have heard Katy has changed dramatically), but I was told they don't have a PPCD program? Please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan8801 View Post
Hi Everyone I have a question. I have a 3 year old who has high functioning autism. He is currently enrolled in a full-time ABA program. My question is should I keep him in the ABA or put him in PPCD? We currently reside in Montgomery (14 miles west of conroe), but I am wanting to move closer to Houston. Im considering Katy, but which katy elementary has the best special education program with low student/teacher ratios? What neighborhood should I look into? My price range is 150k. I used to go to Nottingham country elementary when I was younger (that was over 20 years ago...I have heard Katy has changed dramatically), but I was told they don't have a PPCD program? Please let me know.
This is very individual, but we kept our grandson in ABA from ages 3 to 5 and placed him in the public school ppcd at 5.5 rather than at 3 (we wanted to keep him out of kindergarten until 6 at that point). He is mainstreamed in Pearland ISD currently with resource classes for math and reading (5th grade is not going as well though as k-4 did). You need to talk to the special needs people at the school you are interested in really.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I would go to har.com and check single family homes under 150k in Katy and contact schools with homes in that price range.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:20 AM

299 posts, read 1,016,578 times
My experience with Katy is that they are not the best with kids like your child. They have good services for children who have very mild learning delays, and they have good alternative programs for kids with significant learning impairments. But, they don't offer much for high functioning kids. My son was offered speech therapy once a week and if he ever was frustrated by the school work or was having a self regulation issue they just pulled him out of class and he missed the content. And we had to fight to get that. We eventually pulled him out of Katy and went to a private school. For public schools I've heard much better things about cypress and spring branch isd for high functioning kids on the autism spectrum.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
My high functioning son went to PPCD in Lamar CISD, starting at age 3. It was so successful for him that he was mainstreamed for kinder and has done really well. Of course, individual results will vary, but for us it was absolutely the best place for him.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM

130 posts, read 134,917 times
I asked the same question on here before. My 3-year old goes to Nottingham now. First, I was disappointed with the team who evaluated him. The psychologist made the diagnosis even though she was talking to me the whole time and did not even observe my son. I accepted their diagnosis anyways and enrolled him in the autism program. My son has only been in it for less than 2 months total and I'm already thinking of pulling him out. His goals are ridiculous. He has to "meet" skills that he's been doing since he was 2 (i.e. sorting colors, matching objects, responding to his name). Back when we had the IEP meeting, I didn't know anything and signed the papers. I've finally read them and asked the teacher and the SLP that we amend the goals because the ones on my son's IEP are ones that he can already do. But they don't want to change the implemented goals. They say that just because something is not listed as a goal does not mean they're not working on it with the child. So basically, they worry about themselves first before the child and just write goals that they know they can show at the end of the school year as "met", not the goals that they have to really work and push themselves for.

My son's private speech therapist has been working on getting him to talk in 3-word phrases (and he's been doing really well), but the SLP at school is only working at getting my son to imitate sounds. My son can count to 20 and recognize the numbers 1 to 20 and all the alphabets, but at school he's only been working on numbers 1-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston