Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdo View Post
I am in the same situation as jalam321, they have my house valued at 40k higher than what I paid.
I don't want to show them the hud-1 if I don't have to. Anyone have suggestions how to find comps?

Also, how do they know the soft of the house? Does the builder give them the floor plan?
As was said, they know you just bought it, so they want to see the docs to prove what you paid. If you want it lowered, you have the best chance by just showing it to them. If you refuse, then they will think you paid what they guessed or even more.

As for sqft, they do an exterior calculation and estimate the sqft from that. So it is very likely their number could be higher than an actual number since it includes all walls and could count open areas on the 2nd floor as actual space. Mine was about 200 sqft high because they added an extra room to my house over the kitchen that does not exist. I got them to drop it with the floor plan and info from the houses in the area with the same plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM

672 posts, read 847,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
As was said, they know you just bought it, so they want to see the docs to prove what you paid. If you want it lowered, you have the best chance by just showing it to them. If you refuse, then they will think you paid what they guessed or even more.

As for sqft, they do an exterior calculation and estimate the sqft from that. So it is very likely their number could be higher than an actual number since it includes all walls and could count open areas on the 2nd floor as actual space. Mine was about 200 sqft high because they added an extra room to my house over the kitchen that does not exist. I got them to drop it with the floor plan and info from the houses in the area with the same plan.
Same thing just happened to me. They had my second floor as having over 200 sq ft more than what it really did, so I had to send them the appraisal which showed the actual dimensions.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If you a in Harris county, HCAD already knows what you paid.

There has been lots of discussion on CD about HCAD hiring folks who can get that info.
Likewise, Redfin is a pretty accurate source for home sale prices, and I imagine many of the CADs have access to MLS.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:10 AM

18 posts, read 17,158 times
Update: Submitted online protest on Tuesday. Got them them reduced by 125K ( still about 7K more than what I paid last year) but this is more reflective of my house value so accepted the offer.

Good luck to every one trying, it was fairly easy process for me at least..

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaturv View Post
Update: Submitted online protest on Tuesday. Got them them reduced by 125K ( still about 7K more than what I paid last year) but this is more reflective of my house value so accepted the offer.

Good luck to every one trying, it was fairly easy process for me at least..
What did you have to show them? Or what did you have to do? thanks

Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 AM

18 posts, read 17,158 times
I basically took screen shots of FBCAD valuations of 5 house within my subdivision which were comparable to my house size etc and all of them were lower than mine.
Apart from that I took 2 listings within my area which were closer to my house
I also uploaded a trend chart for zipcode 77479 from homesnap showing a decline in mean sale price over the last year..

I thought of uploading HUD but did not do it as I was planning to use it for ARB hearing if online piece did not work out.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Bdo

6 posts, read 5,672 times
Did you have to upload everything at the same time you protested? Do the comps have to be in the neighborhood? The same sqft in the neighborhood 2 streets from me are 80-100k less.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Showing the HUD-1 is the fastest way to get the appraisal reduced to what you paid for the house. You are going to struggle to get it ower than that amount. The appraiser will ask you for the HUD-1, as they know when you bought. It is hard to have a HUD-1 that shows you paid $250k for a house and argue it's only worth $200k 2 months later. I know of no reason not to show the HUD-1, it's the best evidence you have of the value of the house.
So i wonder if someone bought a house 5-6 yrs ago for 100k and now appraised at 150k, would it be wise to show the HUD doc since CAD might base their appraisals at 100k going forward? I'm not sure that would be the case, but who knows. If they did, i guess people with 10 yr old homes would show their HUD statements. I guess the disadvantage would be if and when they decide to sell their homes.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
I don't think purchase price will sway the appraisal (nor should it) more than a year or maybe two after the sale.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:23 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I don't think purchase price will sway the appraisal (nor should it) more than a year or maybe two after the sale.
I had this same thought. I guess you could try though, especially since the county has already appraised the property significantly higher than what the buyer paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: