Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,066 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently rent in 77079, but am priced out of owning (single female/no kids, ~mid 300k price range). I am interested in a new townhome development by blt 8 and kempwood but I see the schools in that area are not ranked as highly as where I live currently (memorial and kirkwood)

Just thinking purely on resale value when I need to sell, what is the opinion on that area? want to stay near citycentre area and priced out on most new developments in this area (had a home in 77077, but foundation was a mess)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 12:50 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoninfo View Post
Hello,

I currently rent in 77079, but am priced out of owning (single female/no kids, ~mid 300k price range). I am interested in a new townhome development by blt 8 and kempwood but I see the schools in that area are not ranked as highly as where I live currently (memorial and kirkwood)

Just thinking purely on resale value when I need to sell, what is the opinion on that area? want to stay near citycentre area and priced out on most new developments in this area (had a home in 77077, but foundation was a mess)

Thanks
Are you talking about that "Enclave" across from the Houston Cristian HS ? Are those really townhomes ? The conventional wisdom is that condo's/townhomes do not appreciate the way SFH do, but that development is adjacent to Spring Shadows which is a pretty stable neighborhood. So my guess would be (if it is a townhome) that it will hold value but not appreciate dramatically.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:00 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
If I were you, I'd hang tight and see if the market softens in the next 12 months. Mid $300s puts you within arms reach of something in Nottingham West. I bet before the end of the year you may be able to snag something. But you'll have to be fast. And it will also be something that will probably require some updating, but should be livable as is. As far as an investment, that will be much better for you than any townhome.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Your budget gets you into a SFH in Spring Shadows, a much better investment than a new townhouse. You'll note a lot of them sitting on the market right now just across the beltway from Spring Shadows while the SFH's are still selling briskly.

Another option are the Georgetown townhouses at bwy8 and I-10. These have appreciated enormously over the last few years primarily because of their location. Now is a good time to get in, they should always do well zoned to Memorial Middle and Stratford.

Limiting yourself to 'new' will hurt you later on. Location is much more valuable, and I'd buy the SFH first.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
If I were you, I'd hang tight and see if the market softens in the next 12 months. Mid $300s puts you within arms reach of something in Nottingham West. I bet before the end of the year you may be able to snag something. But you'll have to be fast. And it will also be something that will probably require some updating, but should be livable as is. As far as an investment, that will be much better for you than any townhome.
A thought, but you are competing with developers there, anything that sinks to mid-300's will be a tear down and quite miserable to live in.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
Sherwood Oaks and Westwick would be better alternatives to Spring Shadows in the mid $300s. Probably would buy one of the cheaper homes in each neighborhood which is a good thing.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Sherwood Oaks and Westwick would be better alternatives to Spring Shadows in the mid $300s. Probably would buy one of the cheaper homes in each neighborhood which is a good thing.
That's a good suggestion.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:05 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoninfo View Post
Hello,

Thanks
I believe the Westwick and Sherwood neighborhoods north of I-10/Kirkwood are zoned to Stratford High. Consult with a good realtor to make sure. I also found this link to look up school zone.
Untitled Page

Old 05-02-2016, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,066 times
thanks all,

I guess they aren't true townhomes, as they are separated, so technically single family. But close to each other.
I know I can get into a SFH for the same price (seen only 2 in nottigham on HAR), but as you all noted, it would be a total gut job, which would put me over the budget. I had reno in 77077, but the foundation had that house shifting more than the temperature, so preferring a newer home now....

would wait, but my apt is a nightmare. Don't think I want to stay in it another year (break-ins).

I'll take 1 more look at the westwick/sherwood/spring shadows, but after the last older home, kinda wanting newer.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:55 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Your budget gets you into a SFH in Spring Shadows, a much better investment than a new townhouse. You'll note a lot of them sitting on the market right now just across the beltway from Spring Shadows while the SFH's are still selling briskly.

Another option are the Georgetown townhouses at bwy8 and I-10. These have appreciated enormously over the last few years primarily because of their location. Now is a good time to get in, they should always do well zoned to Memorial Middle and Stratford.

Limiting yourself to 'new' will hurt you later on. Location is much more valuable, and I'd buy the SFH first.
True this, as to SFH and location vs. new.

Be aware that Georgetown has hefty monthly maintenance fees up to $500 - on top of your mortgage and taxes.

Quote:
Closer to where OP wants to be - just more expensive than Spring Shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
I believe the Westwick and Sherwood neighborhoods north of I-10/Kirkwood are zoned to Stratford High. Consult with a good realtor to make sure. I also found this link to look up school zone.
Untitled Page
Both are zoned to Stratford. There is Sherwood Oaks, an older SFH subdivision - and then there is Sherwood Terrace, built about 2005/2006. They are SFH, with the look of a townhome, except there aren't common walls. However, the space between is only about 3-5 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston