U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:52 AM

10 posts, read 15,647 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!
DH and I (24 &26) have been renting in the Woodlands for the past year, painstakingly looking at houses/neighborhoods/areas of Houston trying to decide where we would like to buy. Neither of us are from TX/Houston so it has taken us just about a year to finally get familiar with the area.
I just got news from my company that I will be relocating from The Woodlands to Sweeny and my husband works in sales so he works from home/all over the Houston area. So we want to live close to the city for my husbands position and I'll just have an 45min-1hr commute to work but with no traffic (not ideal but we don't want to live in Sweeny since its a tiny little town).

Budget: 300K-330K but we would definitely get a house for 250K if it had everything we wanted.

We have narrowed our search down to two areas: Sugar Land and Westbury.
We really like the Westbury area and have looked at many open houses on Lattimer/Dunlap/Cerritos but with the 2015 and 2016 floods we are concerned with flooding in the Willow Waterhole Bayou vicinity. We love the large lots/trees and that the houses are old with good bones but most have been updated. Some of the surrounding areas don't look super nice but we both grew up in pretty bad neighborhoods as kids (in NM and VA) so we aren't too concerned. We really like that Westbury is "in the city" since we spent the last year living 45 min-1hr away from all of our Midtown friends and we would love a chance to live closer to all the activities/nightlife that the city has.

We also really like Sugarland. Its farther out from the city but not by too much. The schools are better (which doesn't concern us except for resale) and the surrounding areas seem to be nicer as far as shopping, restaurants, grocery. The houses are newer and typically on smaller lots which we don't like as much as the Westbury homes but the prices/sqft is lower which is a plus. There seems to be plenty of things to do in Sugar Land that we wouldn't have to go into the city for activities as much. We have friends who are DINKs like us who live there and they seem to love it.
I would love to hear your opinions on the Pros/Cons of these areas or if any of my assumptions are way off. Thanks in advance!
TL;DR: Would you live in Westbury or Sugar Land and WHY??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 AM

2,046 posts, read 2,646,029 times
At your age and without kids, I wouldn't live in Sugar Land.

Any decent restaurant you go to will be crowded with kids. I live in Sugar Land and love it there, but if I don't have kids, I wouldn't stay here.

Westbury is close enough to everything that most young couples with funds would probably enjoy more of. You go drinking at Midtown, you can uber back at reasonable amount. You can't really do that in Sugar Land.

Move to Sugar Land when you have kids and don't want to hassle with all the inner loopers fighting over school and daycare space.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,349,300 times
If i was working in Sweeny then I'd be looking south of Pearland somewhere. Otherwise Sugar Land.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,439,394 times
Wile I agree that somewhere in town would be a good fit you need to understand you will be driving to Sweeny for work each day. That is approximately 60 miles each way. I know this isn't what you asked but perhaps you need to be looking for another job.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 AM

2,755 posts, read 3,311,366 times
If you like Westbury you may want to look at Maplewood which is north of Braeswood and bounded by Hillcroft, Beechnut and Renwick (or Chimney Rock).

It's zoned to Bellaire High School.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 968,611 times
Sugar Land has some bars and stuff now for people who don't have their kids in tow, but no where near the selection as Houston. I'd say go Westbury assuming you can find decent housing in the 300k range.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Wile I agree that somewhere in town would be a good fit you need to understand you will be driving to Sweeny for work each day. That is approximately 60 miles each way. I know this isn't what you asked but perhaps you need to be looking for another job.
Thanks for the input but my job is extremely stable and I get compensated very well. It will be worth the commute and after a few years I should be able to relocate to a different facility within the same company.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:48 AM

2,071 posts, read 3,681,740 times
I'm not a fan of the suburbs but I'd go with Sugarland to minimize the commute. Its just not worth it to live closer in.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I'm not a fan of the suburbs but I'd go with Sugarland to minimize the commute. Its just not worth it to live closer in.
Any amount of time I take off my commute would be added to my husbands commute. In the Woodlands he had a 30-45 min commute while I had a 5 min commute so now it is his turn for the short commute. The further away we get from the city, the longer his commute into the city will be.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,729,084 times
Sugar Land on your budget isn't going to get you in the nice part of Sugar Land, other than the Highlands.

I'd without question pick Westbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston