Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM

104 posts, read 110,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Having lived in the Midwest, I think Dallas reminds me of the Midwest a lot more than Houston does. Houston doesn't seem Midwestern to me at all.
I guess I should have clarified what I meant by Midwestern..there is a hurried, rude, too many people vibe. And most of the people we come in contact with are either from the Midwest or East coast in our neighborhood..we moved here for the Southern hospitality we experienced 7 years ago..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
What's more Texan than arriving at an "outlet" mall in your Bentley? Also, i don't think as many people care about what you are wearing as you think.
But it sounds like you might want to look at Katy proper.
That would be a sight..lol. But, just being in a mall with doormen and Bentleys in the parking lot just makes me feel like I would have to have a certain "look". maybe its just me, but growing up, my parents taught me to dress for the occasion. I wouldn't even think ordinarily about dressing for a mall, but sometimes in TW, I get a "look" wearing jeans(not scuzzy jeans, just a nice casual look) and interacting with salespeople in a department store..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
All of Houston especially the further from the city you go is southern. Katy on the Ft Bend side is what you're looking for. Try going further out into towns like Richmond, Fulshear and Simonton. You'll love it there.
We'll have to check how far it would be for my husbands accounts if we chose to go out a bit further. Its part of the reason we might be relocating from TW right now(besides not really liking it here) but thanks! Worth checking out. I really want a Southern vibe.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I do not know of a mall with a doorman. The Galleria doesnt even have a doorman. Is he talking about the private club at City Centre that closed?
No, I think he meant either the Willowbrook or Memorial City Mall(it was last week he went)..this area does have quite a few malls now that I'm trying to figure out which he meant. Back in Illinois, there were only a couple to service a much larger area..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
LOL

But sadly, people in TW could be ridiculous sometimes. Even, when most of them living from paycheck to paycheck.
Why do you care what people think about your clothing?
Its just the attitude you get when you aren't dressed in what people would consider "appropriate" to the venue. I mean, I get not dressing scuzzy, my mom taught me not to go out in my PJ pants or something, but nice capris or jeans with a casual shirt is what I usually wear and in some stores in TW I get a "look" from the counter people. I can't figure out why, other than there is some sort of unspoken dress code for high end stores? I definitely don't go out looking scuzzy.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamergal View Post
We'll have to check how far it would be for my husbands accounts if we chose to go out a bit further. Its part of the reason we might be relocating from TW right now(besides not really liking it here) but thanks! Worth checking out. I really want a Southern vibe.
Those areas are the only areas I think left that have that southern feel in Houston. Upon my many visits back I've noticed Houston turning more and more like you said a northern or Midwestern city. It looks different and seems to have a higher influx of transplants.

I say the only "Texas" places left are in the hill country.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
River Oaks/Tanglewood is comparatively laid back compared to the Stepford Woodlands, surprisingly down-to-earth people who happen to be affluent. Those Establishment people don't care what you wear since they are wearing dated Brooks Brothers, not some haute couture designer. The closest that I've seen to a doorman at The Galleria was the valet parking at Neiman-Marcus. The only place more pretentious than Dallas is Beverly Hills.
I think this was at either the Willowbrook or Memorial City Mall..this area does have quite a few malls now that I'm trying to figure out which he meant. Back in Illinois, there were only a couple to service a much larger area..but its nice to know there are some laid back sort of suburbs in the area. We aren't really affluent, but maybe upper middle class. I'm just not into the pretentious show of wealth that TW seems to delight in.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Cypress seems to have more native Texans than many other areas of town. Many residents here grew up in the 1970's and 1980's in nearby Champions, Spring, Klein and Katy. It's mostly white, six-figure avg. HH income, nice neighborhoods, good schools, low crime. A bit larger than The Woodlands, Katy area is roughly similar in size.

Half of Cypress is wooded (North Cypress), like The Woodlands area. The other half is filled with large master-planned communities in wide open prairies (like Katy/Cinco Ranch, etc.).
We'd love that..we were enamoured with the Southern Texan charm we experienced in this area 7 years ago when we visited, and were surprised to meet so many east Coasters and Midwesterners when we finally moved here..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Yup. Gotta love it.
Longwood (Cypress, TX)
That is Gorgeous! I love the feel and look of that area..I don't know if it'd be our price range to rent, or if they do rent but I really like those pics..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
Older parts of Cinco Ranch (East of 99) are nice, affordable, and you'll find most people down-to-earth. It's suburban, family-oriented, and diverse. Green Trails is also a good option--easy access to I-10, good schools, and right in the middle of you husband's territory. I've never experienced any snootiness--but maybe I'm not paying enough attention.
We'll check out those areas as well. Thanks for the direction!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston