Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It would have to be in the Ozark mountains to best Atlanta. So definitely not a little further north. About 500 miles north.
The hills in Atlanta are not as rugged as the Ozarks. If Houston were located where Nacogdoches is, it would be a good match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The hills in Atlanta are not as rugged as the Ozarks. If Houston were located where Nacogdoches is, it would be a good match.
Nah. Atlanta is a lot hillier than Nac is. Agreed with the point about the Ozarks though. If Houston were where Beaver Bend, OK is, that would probably be closest.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Nah. Atlanta is a lot hillier than Nac is. Agreed with the point about the Ozarks though. If Houston were where Beaver Bend, OK is, that would probably be closest.
You either haven't seen enough of Nacogdoches or you haven't seen enough of Atlanta. If you head northwest of the city, things do get especially rugged around Smyrna and Vinings, and of course you have Stone Mountain to the east, but most of the city simply sits on a plateau with only moderately sized hills, which are similar to the hilliest parts of Nac.

Believe it or not, most of my walks/runs in Atlanta were on pretty level terrain and required almost no effort.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 PM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You either haven't seen enough of Nacogdoches or you haven't seen enough of Atlanta. If you head northwest of the city, things do get especially rugged around Smyrna and Vinings, and of course you have Stone Mountain to the east, but most of the city simply sits on a plateau with only moderately sized hills, which are similar to the hilliest parts of Nac.

Believe it or not, most of my walks/runs in Atlanta were on pretty level terrain and required almost no effort.
Are you sure you aren't talking about Atlanta, Texas?

Level terrain in Atlanta, Georgia??????? I'm thinking you've never been there!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Sure I have. I even lived off of FLAT Shoals Parkway.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Quote:
No. Atlanta isn't THAT hilly. Nac will do.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:40 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
The Ozarks will put Houston into the same category with Birmingham and Nashville.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 PM

10 posts, read 9,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I feel like if Houston was placed a little further north, then it would be neck and neck with Atlanta as far as scenery.
Move it northeast, and you have forest by the bay.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,551,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Atlanta metro covers alot of ground and it some level terrain within Metro Atlanta. For the most part though it's pretty hilly. Has bigger hills then East Texas but East Texas rolling hills definitely has some similarities though. It's some areas here in Atlanta that remind me of home(not Houston).

Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 AM

277 posts, read 301,658 times
I lived in seven areas of Atlanta, only one was hilly...Marietta only had a hill going up and down to the Chattahoochee, Bulkhead was flat, Ashford Dunwoody was flat, Moore's Mill was just a mole hill rise, I am just talking about a 5 mile run, so if you go more than that you're likely to find a hill, having visited Houston, I can say it's pretty flat. Trying to find just a bit of a rise for our new home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston