Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
Awesome! Any particular roads I should check out? I'm looking at google maps and nothing sticks out to me.

I drive a bunch in Atlanta. I even drove Uber for a while. i realize the sample size I am working with for Houston roads is relatively small but from what I have seen Atlanta roads are in much better condition overall and much funner to drive. Rush hour in any city is not fun, but my work hours often allow me to skip rush hour so not a big issue for me.
I hate the narrow lanes. That isn't fun for me, regardless of whether it is rush hour or not.

Now if you drove in the Montrose area in Houston, you would have good reason for thinking the roads were in worse shape. You would think Mayor Parker would have taken care of that area. But overall, they aren't so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Awesome! Any particular roads I should check out? I'm looking at google maps and nothing sticks out to me.

I drive a bunch in Atlanta. I even drove Uber for a while. i realize the sample size I am working with for Houston roads is relatively small but from what I have seen Atlanta roads are in much better condition overall and much funner to drive. Rush hour in any city is not fun, but my work hours often allow me to skip rush hour so not a big issue for me.
A lot of roads in Montgomery County and northern Harris County. However, they are in the process of being widened.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:

Let me be the one to tell you the roads you're looking for that you loved in Atlanta are not there in Houston. So you got to get that out your mind asap. You will not find that in Houston. That's like me wanting Atlanta to have Mexican food the same as Houston. It isn't here so I gave up on that dream along time ago.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Let me be the one to tell you the roads you're looking for that you loved in Atlanta are not there in Houston. So you got to get that out your mind asap. You will not find that in Houston. That's like me wanting Atlanta to have Mexican food the same as Houston. It isn't here so I gave up on that dream along time ago.
The concrete boulevards up north are winding. lol

Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I think its kind of crazy to say Houston is as pretty as Atlanta. Houston has pretty areas, but Atlanta is a city in a hilly forest. Its one of the prettiest cities in the South.

The suburbs up north are like that and areas like River Oaks are pretty. But Houston is no where as pretty as Atlanta.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think its kind of crazy to say Houston is as pretty as Atlanta. Houston has pretty areas, but Atlanta is a city in a hilly forest. Its one of the prettiest cities in the South.

The suburbs up north are like that and areas like River Oaks are pretty. But Houston is no where as pretty as Atlanta.
I think most would easily agree Atlanta is more aesthetically pleasing, but the degree to which it is would depend on the person being asked. Had Houston made use of urban planning and design, it would be a lot closer between the two cities.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I think most would easily agree Atlanta is more aesthetically pleasing, but the degree to which it is would depend on the person being asked. Had Houston made use of urban planning and design, it would be a lot closer between the two cities.

If Houston had made use of urban planning and design, the gap would probably be bigger.

Houston responds to the market instead of zoning entrenching 100 year old decisions.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:08 PM

I feel like if Houston was placed a little further north, then it would be neck and neck with Atlanta as far as scenery.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:49 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Atlanta is definitely a prettier city then Houston and like you said Houston definitely has pretty areas but I'll say imo Atlanta isn't blowing Houston out the water. It's definitely some eye sore areas in Atlanta that are not hard to find. And every city has it's eye sores but it's more eye sores in the A then what I realize once I moved down here. Atlanta having more natural beauty then Houston and just better infrastructure and more interesting architecture generally then Houston within the cities core gives it that notch, also they do a good job of hiding they're eye sores from the main freeways. Houston freeways run right through the eye sores. But Atlanta definitely has more then enough eye sores that I couldn't say it's just blowing Atlanta out the water. Cities like San Francisco or Seattle clearly blow Houston out the water imo and some notches above Atlanta as well.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I feel like if Houston was placed a little further north, then it would be neck and neck with Atlanta as far as scenery.
It would have to be in the Ozark mountains to best Atlanta. So definitely not a little further north. About 500 miles north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston