Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:40 AM

392 posts, read 316,825 times

Advertisements

Unless the existing "used" home is above average in term of views and upgrades, I would look for an inventory home from builders where the average cost per SF is only a few dollars more. If the going rate for existing home is $108/sf, then I would not pay more than $115 sf as zoo2000 suggestion. With a new home, you will have 10 year structural and 1 year warranties for just about all non cosmetic items. In addition, the builder will offer incentives and closing costs.

I think the going rate for new builds in Aliana is at least $130/sf so you may have to be patient to find the right deal.

Last edited by Sugarlandbubba; 05-25-2016 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 14,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2000 View Post
I see some 'lightly used' homes listed at ~$100/ft in Aliana now--I bet you get even better. It's a buyers market and now is a great time find a house you like and push.
New construction is always more expensive--it's like buying a new car--drive it off on the lot and the value drops by 10%. but try not to spend more than ~$115/ft now on new construction--this will give you plenty of room to choose nice options/finishes, but won't leave you overly upside down. Builders are motivated and you can push them even harder than used homes--especially national builders like Meritage and Ryland--in some cases they will sell for cost in order to boost revenues to appease shareholders. Harder to push Texas builders (Highland, Perry, Coventry)--but, trust me, there is slack to take advantage of there.
I was thinking along the same lines. Thx for your input!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 14,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
Unless the existing "used" home is above average in term of views and upgrades, I would look for an inventory home from builders where the average cost per SF is only a few dollars more. If the going rate for existing home is $108/sf, then I would not pay more than $115 sf as zoo2000 suggestion. With a new home, you will have 10 year structural and 1 year warranties for just about all non cosmetic items. In addition, the builder will offer incentives and closing costs.

I think the going rate for new builds in Aliana is at least $130/sf so you may have to be patient to find the right deal.
cool thx for the input!

Old 02-27-2017, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,634 times
Default New Home Buying Aliana

Please do not buy the Meritage homes they will rip you off guys specially in Aliana by the Sales lady goes by Mimi , She will rip you off and she will behave as if she is doing favor to you all. please keep in mind. They have poor construction and they will rip you off with the upgrades, Over there you basic stuff is upgrade.
Be care full once you give her check of 10k its gone. She is evil women. Go to Perry homes or Highland Homes or Village Builders. There are many other builders out there in their newly opened section towards 99. Stay away from Meritage home at Aliana from the Evil sales women.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moid View Post
Please do not buy the Meritage homes they will rip you off guys specially in Aliana by the Sales lady goes by Mimi , She will rip you off and she will behave as if she is doing favor to you all. please keep in mind. They have poor construction and they will rip you off with the upgrades, Over there you basic stuff is upgrade.
Be care full once you give her check of 10k its gone. She is evil women. Go to Perry homes or Highland Homes or Village Builders. There are many other builders out there in their newly opened section towards 99. Stay away from Meritage home at Aliana from the Evil sales women.
Tell me more, first time poster with what is clearly an unbiased, objective opinion.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,634 times
I would suggest do not by the Meritage homes they will rip you off guys.. Every thing in there is a upgrade and Its really bad their base stuff is like you cannot see after the construction is completed , Do not think that you got a good price , thats how they lady there goes by Mimi the sale B says, But you will end up to pay like 50 k more , check how many homes are out in there in sale and all of them were bought by owners and then they do no want as they look really bad and you cannot live in that house after paying like 450 k.She will take 10 k from you and be careful guys its a trap.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Oh hey you're back. Are you a jilted ex of Mimi and/or did she steal your significant other?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,578 times
Default Do not buy from Meritage Homes!!!

The homes Meritage Homes built have very poor workmanship and the quality of materials used are horrible. We have owned a home built by Meritage Homes in Riverstone Auburn Manor subdivision that was built in 2012. In less than 5 years of owning the home, we have had to repair cracked kitchen tiles, upstairs bedroom door that could not be closed fully, cracks in the ceiling that zigged and zagged for a total length of 20 ft. We just spent $1500 to have the issues mentioned above fixed last month. Now, we are having water leak issues on our roof which will cost another $1900 to repair. When we contacted Meritage Homes with all these issues, they claimed these issues are part of regular home maintenance or it was normal movement of the house that caused all cracks that ran 20 ft!?!

In the past, we have owned homes built by Perry and David Weekley. We had never experienced so many issues like we have with Meritage Homes. If you are looking to buy a new home, stay away from Meritage Homes and go with Highland, Perry, or David Weekley. Owning a Meritage Homes has been a nightmare for us and their warranty department will reject all repair requests once the 2 year full coverage period is over.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan813 View Post
The homes Meritage Homes built have very poor workmanship and the quality of materials used are horrible. We have owned a home built by Meritage Homes in Riverstone Auburn Manor subdivision that was built in 2012. In less than 5 years of owning the home, we have had to repair cracked kitchen tiles, upstairs bedroom door that could not be closed fully, cracks in the ceiling that zigged and zagged for a total length of 20 ft. We just spent $1500 to have the issues mentioned above fixed last month. Now, we are having water leak issues on our roof which will cost another $1900 to repair. When we contacted Meritage Homes with all these issues, they claimed these issues are part of regular home maintenance or it was normal movement of the house that caused all cracks that ran 20 ft!?!

In the past, we have owned homes built by Perry and David Weekley. We had never experienced so many issues like we have with Meritage Homes. If you are looking to buy a new home, stay away from Meritage Homes and go with Highland, Perry, or David Weekley. Owning a Meritage Homes has been a nightmare for us and their warranty department will reject all repair requests once the 2 year full coverage period is over.
Should have hired a home inspector for phased inspection.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
I bought a Meritage up in Kingwood ten years ago and had very little issues with it and what few I had they fixed quickly for whatever that is worth. Could be completely different folks running the show by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston