Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:18 PM

74 posts, read 86,692 times

Advertisements

I have a guy working on my roof and he is saying that a lot of shingles look to have lost a lot of granule. I took this picture to see what he was talking about. Does this roof look worn/damaged? He is talking about the edges of the shingles which seem exposed. You can see the fiberglass.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Does this roof look damaged-298a0408.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM

225 posts, read 519,605 times
looks fine from the distance, is he offering to replace the whole roof? quite an upsell

Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,608 times
Ya if the fiberglass is exposed, it's pretty bad and needs to be patched/fixed.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
looks fine from the distance, is he offering to replace the whole roof? quite an upsell
Here's some more pics from up on the roof itself. Of course, he will show me the worst cases....which I need fixed. Not sure if I need a whole new roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Does this roof look damaged-img_4495.jpg   Does this roof look damaged-img_4497.jpg   Does this roof look damaged-img_4498.jpg  

Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
Prob cost you 25% of a new roof to push the life a couple more years.

How old is the roof

Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Its the original roof, about 8 years. I would have expected more of a life but its a builder's grade roof and the weather has been a bit crazy. At least 2 neighbors with houses about the same age have had roofs replaced in last 6 months or so.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:40 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
You didn't get anyone to look at your roof after the bad hail storm a year or so back? Theres a reason so many people have had their roofs replaced in the last year. People in our neighborhood who got new roofs after Ike were getting their roofs replaced again after the hail storm. That storm was crazy.. We had more damage from that than from Ike.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:14 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Been there, done that...

I had a problem with my roof. It was not frayed as bad as yours, but it was frayed in more places. I had more buckling shingles than your photos.

To get the company to honor the warranty, I had to produce the original sales receipt and guarantee. Thanks to my wife who saves everything, I had it. Then I had to pay an authorized dealer to come out and take samples and file a report, they would not just take my word, even with photos.

So I called the roofing company to come out, it was Brinkman at that time. Prior to them coming out, I was sent a big packet. I either had to send back samples, or the dealer had to write a report. I then had to send that back to the vendor so they could assess the damages and determine what would be done.

After the Brinkman field person climbed on the roof (they insist only early inspections BTW, before 8:00 because the roof gets very hot), he came down, wrote his report, and then we had a conversation. He mentioned to me that the vendor rarely replaces roofs, and that they will prorate the new shingles so low, it was not even worth it.

The Brinkman guy saw my paperwork, he said the warranty from Brinkman had expired, but the shingles were for 25 years. He said since it was his company, he said he would send someone out a no charge to nail in the nails which had popped out and caused the shingles to buckle. He would also reseal some of them if they needed it.

True to his word, he had a guy come out the next day, put silicone, and hammered the nails back in.

Bottom line, it is best to wait to get the entire roof redone than to get the company to honor their warranty easily; I mean they will not make it easy on you on purpose.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Almost identical to mine
Same year, roof doesn't look as bad, but about 8-10 shingles have flipped up
A guy came to check it and said that I should see if my deductible is low to try to get a new roof. Deductible is $5000, so I guess I'll keep the roof for a few more years.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
$5,000 can definitely be a lot to fork over, but its cheaper than paying the full $10,000-15,000 a few years later.

I wouldn't settle for a patch job. Aside from likely having to deal with leaks elsewhere down the road, new shingles won't look the same as the older faded shingles, so you'll end up with a mismatched looking roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: