Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But that list is about a city's future potential. The Global Cities Index List I cited is about how the cities stack up now. As of now, Dallas is a few notches above Houston. The list you cited even takes into account the list I cited.
The rest of your list is speculative. It's based on rate of change in personal well being, economics, inovation and governance. That all can change as we have seen in the dip in oil prices which has slowed Houston's gravy train a bit.

Dallas is still going and going strong. It's wooing tech and diversifying faster than Houston. I prefer Houston to Dallas because it's my home city but I have to give it up to Dallas when I can because I am first and foremost about the state coming up.
The point is the organization you cite is one of many that make up such list. There is nothing concrete about B+ or - ratings of some private organization that has a dubious record of objectivity.

As far as "wooing tech" guess what ? There is a list for that too. I posted this thread about a week ago that contains another link about the cities ranking with Tech start-ups. I will post the link to the thread that contains the supporting link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ech-start.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Uhhh, Jack, I hate to rain on your parade but Houston isn't even in the top 25 on the list you cited. It's 6th only on unrealized potential.

I very specifically cited the title of the list that Houston is on, pay attention 2ship...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The point is the organization you cite is one of many that make up such list. There is nothing concrete about B+ or - ratings of some private organization that has a dubious record of objectivity.

As far as "wooing tech" guess what ? There is a list for that too. I posted this thread about a week ago that contains another link about the cities ranking with Tech start-ups. I will post the link to the thread that contains the supporting link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ech-start.html

I very specifically cited the title of the list that Houston is on, pay attention 2ship...
Yes you're right. They all vary. This list put out by the economist has Houston before Dallas at 23 vs 25.

BY wooing tech companies, I didn't mean start ups, I mean already existing companies which Dallas is leading in along with Austin.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:56 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:
Nice! I want Houston to diversify even more. Any way Houston can attract some tech companies?
That's not so much diversifying than investing ~$50B in expanding what is already there. Namely ethylene, polyethylene, methanol, etc. for paints, glue, carpets and the biggest one... Plastic. For your iPhone and iMac.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yes you're right. They all vary. This list put out by the economist has Houston before Dallas at 23 vs 25.

BY wooing tech companies, I didn't mean start ups, I mean already existing companies which Dallas is leading in along with Austin.
I think the University of Texas which has 2 undergraduate campuses in the Metroplex has a lot to do with that. Hopefully they will build that "Research Campus" in Southwest Houston and help us diversify into Tech as they have DFW and Austin. I don't think diversifying Houstons economy is solely the responsibility of local interest it's obvious to me that a more diversified Greater Houston would be in the interest of the whole state of Texas....

Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Jack, you can't tout something based on potential. You chose the ranking that best suits your opinion. I'm no fan of DFW, but let's give credit where credit is due. Just sayin'.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Jack, you can't tout something based on potential. You chose the ranking that best suits your opinion. I'm no fan of DFW, but let's give credit where credit is due. Just sayin'.

This has already been covered 3ship even Radio concurs that list are malleable and are often used to support a bias of the organization that produces them. If you would read all the post in this thread you would have noticed this.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 PM

Most lists put Houston before Dallas. Only one, the GaWC, ranks Dallas above Houston. But their criteria is mostly based on the dominance of four industries; banking/finance, advertising.marketing, law and accountancy. Houston doesn't dominate over Dallas in banking/finance and the same may go for marketing. I think Dallas may have more marketing.

But at the same time most lists I've found were during the oil boom and before Dallas's meteoric rise siphoning tech companies from California and heavily diversifying. You have to give Dallas it's due.

But I agree that we all want to see the state as a whole rise. Houston diversifying will be a boon for the state.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:35 PM

9,894 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
What is the other 50% made up of? And how interconnected are they with O&G?

What truly independent industries does Houston have besides medical? People in here talk about Houston being diverse but they never list what other industries.
A LOT of international businesses handling trade center offices in Houston. Particularly coming from Asia. Sysco, yes Medical. A lot of other smaller businesses with headquarters. The Port brings not only blue collar jobs but white collar as well. 90 consulate offices in Houston.

Certain sectors such as hospitality get affected by the oil, but even that is doing very well with plenty of other use for the hotels.

There's a lot of money coming from areas that aren't affected by oil. Oil still puts a major dip, though.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM

9,894 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
What is the other 50% made up of? And how interconnected are they with O&G?

What truly independent industries does Houston have besides medical? People in here talk about Houston being diverse but they never list what other industries.
You realize in the 80s, oil industry made up over 80% of the Houston economy. So a drop to 42% means nothing?

Anyway, the put on the medical center and the port. Then add Sysco being headquartered. Then remember just because a company isn't headquartered in Houston doesn't mean it doesn't have a large presence in Houston. You see the huge and growing amount of Asian businesses doing non-oil related business in Houston. That's one of the biggest sectors that has grown in Houston. International trade being handled through Houston. That's part of what has made these Asian carriers begin service to Houston the past 3 years (Korean Air, Air China, EVA Air, All Nippon Airways).

Sure, some of the 58% of the rest of the economy has partial reliability to oil. Such as hospitality (which even with oil down seems, there seems to always be a reason to keep these hotels filled). When the economy held 80% on oil, the rest of the 20% mostly relied on oil. At 42%, it still affects it but not to the full reliability level.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 AM

Hey I am not knocking the strides Houston has made toward diversifying but it still has a while to go to really be on Dallas's level of diverse. SA even has Texas beat .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston