Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:58 PM

277 posts, read 304,906 times

Advertisements

Our utility bills are an easy way to cut costs long term...here the Mitsubishi units are gaining popularity because you only heat/cool the rooms you need...having a hard time narrowing down housing options (location, size, etc.) so decided I'd ask your opinion on energy efficiency...

Do 2 story homes run 2 separate HVAC units? It will just be my husband, me and one child for a year, then all three of ours will be at college so wondering if finding a house with 3 BRs up would save us money because we wouldn't have to cool/heat that part of the house 75% of the year. Having 4 BRs on one floor seems a waste of energy if we're cooling all that space and not using it.

Do I need a water softener in Houston? Will that save me on appliance costs down the road or just replace them every 8-10 years? Any other items to know on home buying in Houston? Roofing preferences? All brick or siding? Is a sprinkler necessary? We will have a small window to find a home..his company will only cover 30 days of temporary housing...sticking under 400k and under 3000 sq. feet.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 12:00 AM

676 posts, read 931,671 times
Really just depends on the builder for if the house will have separate ac units for each floor or not, but most will. Even if it does, you still need to run the upstairs unit even when no-one is up there, but it can be set to a higher temp.

A water softener can help save on appliance repair and replacement costs. Houston water is very hard.

I personally prefer all brick.

Sprinkler system is more of a personal preference. It makes watering the yard a lot easier, especially since they can be set to come on in the middle of the night when it is most efficient to water. Also means you don't have to be dragging hoses around.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 AM

66 posts, read 99,163 times
Yes, two story homes have two HVAC systems. You can save money by setting the upstairs thermostat at a higher temperature. The cold air descends and helps keep the downstairs cool. Energy efficiency is a key consideration in new home construction. Ask your builder to explain how they will address this. Sealing out drafts and cracks is crucial. You can specifically ask for draft resistant barrier sheathing where gables join walls, and caulk and spray foam insulation to seal gaps, cracks and all openings. Blow in extra insulation in the attic. There are energy efficiency ratings that apply to new construction and you should ask your construction manager about how new houses perform against these standards. Pay attention to this during final phases of construction (pre-cover). There is a test to cover drafts in a completed house. The HVAC vents are covered up with plastic film and an induced draft is created by fans in a doorway, measured against an HVAC standard. If you do this right, you save big money, especially over time.

Water softener system will reduce water hardness and prevent mineral and earthen ore buildup (calcium, iron, etc.) in your fixtures and appliances. It also keeps these off your skin and hair. Add reverse osmosis water filtration for cooking and drinking, and get filters in your refrigerator to clean ice and water there. Your water heater will last much longer as will dishwasher, washing machine and all plumbing fixtures, if you get a whole house softener system. Well worth the money - no dry skin, no buildup on your hair, clothes do not wear out as fast (friction is reduced) and no scaling and buildup in showers, tubs, sinks, and helps to eliminate water spots on glass shower doors and glassware in the dishwasher. And RO filtration knocks out sediments, entrained solids, and common biological and chemical contaminants.

Brick and stone hold up very well against moisture and heat. Cement siding (Hardiplank, etc.) lasts for decades but will need repainting. 30 year architectural asphalt shingles are worth paying extra for. Clay tiles or metal lasts longer but cost more in installation.

Sprinkler system - no brainer. Unless you like standing in 95 degree heat with 95 % humidity for hours and dragging a hose around while it tries to act like an anaconda wrapping around everything it encounters in its path. Also worth it, every single penny...

Best of luck with your new house. You clearly are thinking your way through the right issues. If you have the money in your budget I would invest in all of these worthwhile improvements. My two cents.... On resale it will all appeal to informed purchasers, too.

Last edited by CountryCowboy; 05-31-2016 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-31-2016, 08:43 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
MUDs in the Houston area have been switching from groundwater to surface water, which is generally going to be softer. Best thing to do is test your water hardness before committing to a softener, it may be soft enough with surface water. No need to waste money on one if you don't need it.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Even if you have 2 units, the humidity requires running both. Our 1998 built 3500 square foot house has 2, 16 SEER. The electricity is rarely over 150 a month. We share with a dog who is always on the wrong side of the door. Two adults, mostly at home working. Always 3 computers running.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 AM

672 posts, read 847,279 times
Our 2 story 3100 sq ft, built in 2015, has 2 zones with one big 16 seer AC unit and our bill last month was $98. 2 kids, multiple TV's and gaming consoles, a PC that runs 24/7 and a whole lot of laundry to wash and the highest bill I saw last Summer was $172.

At our old house, which was a 1 story and a little over 2000 sq ft and built in 2002, with a 10 Seer unit I believe, single pane windows and no radiant barrier protection and our bills were astronomical in comparison.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
1. Radiant barrier
2. Attic ventilator
3. Plant trees around your house

Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Shop around for your electricity. Typically 6 months terms offer better rates but that may just be how it has played out for me specifically. You can get a great rate in the 2-5 cents range only to have it move up to 11 cents after the 6 months is over. It is easier to switch companies than it is to worry about radiant barrier, new windows and doors etc.. (sort of)

I do not intend to discredit energy efficient upgrades. Our homes will always be more comfortable with new windows and doors as well as proper insulation and the energy use will be less. My view is that it would be silly to be looking at all kinds of energy efficiencies while paying a few times per kwh what you you could by switching.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:47 PM

672 posts, read 847,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Shop around for your electricity. Typically 6 months terms offer better rates but that may just be how it has played out for me specifically. You can get a great rate in the 2-5 cents range only to have it move up to 11 cents after the 6 months is over. It is easier to switch companies than it is to worry about radiant barrier, new windows and doors etc.. (sort of)

I do not intend to discredit energy efficient upgrades. Our homes will always be more comfortable with new windows and doors as well as proper insulation and the energy use will be less. My view is that it would be silly to be looking at all kinds of energy efficiencies while paying a few times per kwh what you you could by switching.
I did like the option to switch from provider to provider when I lived in Harris County. Now that I'm in Montgomery County, I only have one option, Entergy. Their current rates aren't bad (.06 pkwh), but I would like the the choice to switch when I wanted, since Entergy could change their rates next month and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
I have a four story house with one a/c unit. It's larger sqft than my last house one story with two a/c units and my eletric bill is lower now but a lot of factors go into that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston