Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times

Advertisements

Far flung suburbs are not the only options for good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Like i said, a bigger budget inside the loop and some effort to get into the better schools.

If you willing to do both of those, then yes there are better schools. If not, those 3 suburbs are the only options, which is probably why they are the fastest growing suburb in Houston.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If a house and space is second runner up it is. We know the Loop has good schools but it's a shell game to play the lottery and gamble with middle and high school. And again, look at their budget and that they want space. They're so priced out of the Loop on lot size it's not even funny.

Friendswood?

Define "top schools" because that's subjective.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
If you want nature, then you should be looking at the north side. As for the ocean, be prepared to drive at least 3 hours to find anything resembling what a non-Texan would consider the "ocean".

Old 06-02-2016, 05:07 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
I think for suburban options, the 3 that have been previously recommended (Sugar Land, The Woodlands and Katy) are probably the best considerations. But, if they are willing to commute an hour (as they would from Katy or TW), then there are a host of other suburbs to throw into the mix as well, including Friendswood and Pearland, as previously mentioned, though I think the first 3 are probably better overall).

If OP is willing to sacrifice on house and lot size, they can purchase in the Meyerland area and then be at the epicenter for Jewish life in the city. As previously stated, there are some very good public schools, but getting in is a crapshoot, but that could potentially be solved (budget sacrifice permitting) by going to one of the private Jewish schools.

OP, how observant are you? How important, if at all, is it to be close to the Temples, JCC etc? Is your 11 yo going to be a Bar/Bat Mitzvah? That's going to be a pretty significant time commitment needed, of course. Sugar Land allows you decent access to the large Temples, but none of the other suburbs do. My guess is The Woodlands and Katy have small congregations nearby, or enough kids that the large Temples might have satellite classes. I only bring this up because this is an issue for me now. I'm Jewish and live in the Clear Lake area (which has good schools and is on the water, btw, but probably too far out for you to consider) and I am struggling with Religious school for my 8 and 5 year old. I am not really happy with the small, old congregation here, but not ready to commit to schlep into town to a large Temple twice a week. So, think about that if it's important to you.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-02-2016 at 05:21 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 05:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,962 times
I'm moving to Houston soon too. What would be considered a very good school for the kids in Sugar Land, any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 AM

9 posts, read 16,158 times
Thank you everyone. Yes, a Bat Mitzvah in 2017. We go to hebrew school and holly holidays so not very observant. meyereland and private schools seem out of our budget. We also want to keep the commute to under 35 miles. Being within about 30 minutes of a temple would be desirable( or we will cut class, i just know it!) . Can you recommend areas to look at in Sugarland?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Do you want a new (newish) house?

There is a temple in Sugar Land/Missouri City, FYI: betheltx.org.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:03 AM

9 posts, read 16,158 times
Newish or updated...

Old 06-02-2016, 06:15 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokaadam View Post
Thank you everyone. Yes, a Bat Mitzvah in 2017. We go to hebrew school and holly holidays so not very observant. meyereland and private schools seem out of our budget. We also want to keep the commute to under 35 miles. Being within about 30 minutes of a temple would be desirable( or we will cut class, i just know it!) . Can you recommend areas to look at in Sugarland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Do you want a new (newish) house?

There is a temple in Sugar Land/Missouri City, FYI: betheltx.org.
Yes, then, I think you should strongly consider honing in on Sugar Land. It offers the most flexibility for overall quality of life. You can stay out there for Hebrew school like swopoe mentions, or come into the Meyerland area without too much trouble. I'm like you, kinda Jewish lite (and also married to a non Jew). I know I will not drive an hour each way twice a week, its not enough of a priority to me; so I am stuck out here.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-02-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston