Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 AM

7,532 posts, read 11,505,449 times

Advertisements

Houston does not know how to use space correctly expale rice millitary area there is a 1/4 acre lot the lot big enough for 2 2500 sqft town homes but they end up building 3 to 4 1100 sqft town homes nobody want a town home that small for $450k. Another expample the new central park down town 14 acres is nothing when we have lots of parks that are 50time that. If they built the park just on the other side of 59 in the warehouse district they could have got 25 to 50 acres at a steal more room to build a nicer park & help improve the area, but they had to have it actualy down town area where there is enough parks as it is. There are so many areas around town that are really close in that if a developer but land they could get like 50 arces for a steal & help improve the area. Who ever is planing all the construction only wants to build in already over crowed areas not in areas that needs improvments thats bad that just sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,632,751 times
Default this just in

The sky is blue.

My current favorite Houston urban planning disaster is the new $300K townhouse development going up not even a yard from the railroad tracks near the Art Car Museum between Washington Ave. and I-10. I would so pay $300K to live that close to railroad tracks.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:05 AM

7,532 posts, read 11,505,449 times
Exactly houstoner look at all that unused space from 288 to telephon rd south of 610 & just north of down town along 59 those areas could be a gold mine to a good developer

Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

809 posts, read 2,399,698 times
Well, people are buying them, can't argue with capitalism.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
What are you saying? Make Houston as sprawly as the North Dallas suburbs, Atlanta, DC, or Los Angeles? We're trying to stay in the middle--not too dense, not too spacious, just right.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM

809 posts, read 2,399,698 times
Houston seems like it has a nice mix of density and sprawl.

The Inner Loop for density, Spring and Katy for wide open spaces.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,566,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
What are you saying? Make Houston as sprawly as the North Dallas suburbs, Atlanta, DC, or Los Angeles?

We're already just as sprawly as those areas. Check mileage on:

Kingwood to Rosenberg.
League City to Cypress.
Katy to Baytown.
The Woodlands to Pearland.

Even the nearly solid, 90 mile trek from Conroe to Galveston.

Oh wait, you're talking about city limit (proper) only?

Try Clear Lake to the outer Northwest side or near Katy. That's nearly 50 miles of solid city limit. Even LA isn't that large. Neither are the proper city limits of any of those cities you posted.

I think maybe Jacksonville FL and Juneau Alaska are the only cities with larger sprawl than ours. Check me on that, though.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,398,191 times
Jacksonville and Juneau include lots of extraterritorial jurisdiction in their land area. Houston is the second-largest city in land area that does not have a consolidated government with its county. First is Oklahoma City, which has less than a third of Houston's population density.

Jacksonville, the largest city in land area, basically is Duval County, save for a few very small independent municipalities (e.g. Jacksonville Beach). If Houston consolidated its government with Harris County and all currently unincorporated areas of the county became "part of the city" it would be larger than Jacksonville, and it would likely make Houston's official population count higher than Chicago's if not nearly equal with it.

As for parks in downtown, better than surface parking lots taking up whole blocks...

And as for townhomes next to railroad tracks near I-10 - WTF? Bums can sleep next to railroad tracks for nothing. I wonder how fast people are pouncing on that, especially in this housing market.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
We're already just as sprawly as those areas. Check mileage on:

Kingwood to Rosenberg.
League City to Cypress.
Katy to Baytown.
The Woodlands to Pearland.

Even the nearly solid, 90 mile trek from Conroe to Galveston.

Oh wait, you're talking about city limit (proper) only?

Try Clear Lake to the outer Northwest side or near Katy. That's nearly 50 miles of solid city limit. Even LA isn't that large. Neither are the proper city limits of any of those cities you posted.

I think maybe Jacksonville FL and Juneau Alaska are the only cities with larger sprawl than ours. Check me on that, though.
He wondered why developers are building 3 or 4 small townhomes instead of 2 medium townhomes for the same price. That would be a very traditional thing to do in an Eastern city. From what I have read in the Philadelphia forum, that would not be allowed anymore, new or rebuilt. When I lament about sprawl, it's actually about comments like this.

Did you notice that the Westside is the more desirable place to live? The reason that no one wants to build in the eastern half of the city is because of the refineries and the concern about the storm surge. Look at Dr. Neil Frank's Hurricane Tracking Chart for the surge info.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:35 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,632,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Did you notice that the Westside is the more desirable place to live? The reason that no one wants to build in the eastern half of the city is because of the refineries and the concern about the storm surge. Look at Dr. Neil Frank's Hurricane Tracking Chart for the surge info.
That will change. A lot of artists, musicians, and artsy types priced out of the Heights, Montrose, and Museum District have been quietly moving into the East End, Near Northside, and other neighborhoods near downtown on the north and east sides. Expect gentrification to follow in a few years. These areas will become desirable because they are the "last frontier" for diehard Inner Loopers (like myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston