Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
DC, if you wouldn't mind, since I'm eyeing a potential move to an apartment closer in within the next year or so (I'm near Reliant Stadium and the Medical Center), how big's your place and how much is it going for?
Well, the neighborhood I'm in is pretty tight on availability right now, it seems. I'm paying $750/mo for about an ~780 sf apartment, which apparently is a steal for my location. Everything else seems to be $1000 and up... but you should have plenty of time since you're looking at next year. I'm sure you'll find a good deal if you do some legwork or have a realtor help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 06:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Dude, you got an awesome deal from the sound of it. How do you like your place? Worth what you pay? (Or not sure yet? ) I'm guessing you live on or near Allen Parkway and that's yuppie central pretty much. They've raised the rents around there over the last 10 years or so.

I'm in ~750sf for $544, but my surroundings aren't as hip...not that it's a ghetto - the place has kinda grown on me after a year - just not a whole lot to do right around here. It works for now though because I'd rather rent cheaper right now to try and rebuild some savings that sorta disappeared after the move back . I can still get to your area or downtown in 25 minutes or less when traffic's light, or the Museum District in 10 or less. So it's not all bad.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Dude, you got an awesome deal from the sound of it. How do you like your place? Worth what you pay? (Or not sure yet? ) I'm guessing you live on or near Allen Parkway and that's yuppie central pretty much. They've raised the rents around there over the last 10 years or so.

I'm in ~750sf for $544, but my surroundings aren't as hip...not that it's a ghetto - the place has kinda grown on me after a year - just not a whole lot to do right around here. It works for now though because I'd rather rent cheaper right now to try and rebuild some savings that sorta disappeared after the move back . I can still get to your area or downtown in 25 minutes or less when traffic's light, or the Museum District in 10 or less. So it's not all bad.
It helps to have a realtor affilated with my company who helped me with the move. Yes, I really like my place so far. Outer aesthetics is okay and the view from my window could be better, but the inside is great. They got a pool, which is a must for me. I like it a lot... it's pretty big, but not TOO big (as that would increase electric bills when I use AC). I could be biased though, coming from DC, where 1br apartments tend to be quite small (approx 400 sf as opposed to 700+)

by the way, you guessed correctly as to my whereabouts... I live on west dallas st.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 PM

197 posts, read 261,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
Speaking of traffic I noticed a lot of people use turn signals, too ( a pet peeve not to, I suppose).
Anyway, good to see that your move to Houston went well.
OMG, people in Boston don't even own the mechanism to give turning signals as far as I'm aware.

Welcome to Houston!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM

27 posts, read 165,737 times
Hi DC Native! I was actually born in Houston Texas, and my mom brough be out to California long time ago. I don't know what she was thinking really. Unless you can offord to live in the nice mountains, or you make a lot of money, or you live in the bay or a nice area, the rest of California isn't as great as it would seem. I have lived in Sacramento, Wilton, Grassvalley, Auburn, West Hollywood, and North Hollywood, and let me tell you. I am looking for a way out. The traffic is unbearable in Los angeles, and most smart people try to avoid the roads. I am looking to go back to Houston, but I need a little help as I do not remember what it was like living there. Now that I am 23, I will have a lot to think about. I am looking to rent a place for $1000 a month, and from what I can tell, that can get me a lot more out there for my buck than it can in California.
I would like to be somewhere that is not so expensive, but if i can get a nice chic apartment, with a wonderful of nature, or of the city with secure parking, and a nice neighborhood, and more then 900 sq feet, I am happy.

I am happy for you, sounds like you are enjoying Houston. I hope to be there next week myself, just looking into Uhaul rentals right now.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 AM

lusterwings, I am fresh off the apartment hunt... and with $1000 (not including utilities) you can rent an apartment anywhere in Houston. 900sf is a little big, but you can find plenty at 700-800sf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: