Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,749,615 times

Advertisements

OP, you can add this one to your list of capped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Parker, condition, Lovett, poe, askew, Herod, school at St.George, and Twain are all good options. Briarmeadow Charter school has a good reputation.

If you live west, Bush and Daily are good options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 PM

24 posts, read 51,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Parker, condition, Lovett, poe, askew, Herod, school at St.George, and Twain are all good options. Briarmeadow Charter school has a good reputation.

If you live west, Bush and Daily are good options.
Poe isn't turning away, but if you're registering an in-zone kindergartner register as early as possible. They did stop registering zoned incoming kindergartners during the summer last year. School board has toyed with sending Roberts, Twain, West U overflow to the Rice School, but it is full.

Honestly, I would not move into HISD right now. The current school board is openly hostile to middle class kids. Maybe they're right and "what's good for the goose is good for the gander," but at the end of the day, I've got kids I have to get educated. If you want to see what I mean, google for HISD Board Meeting Video and watch some of the recent board meetings.

I believe the board voted to evaluate all attendance boundaries recently too--and zones will likely change. It's just a really unstable educational system right now.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houmove View Post
Wharton's dual language program (spanish-english) is highly desirable. It has a very long wait list for non zoned students.
Yes, I agree with this. We would have loved to have gone with a Spanish language dual magnet when we were looking a few years ago but couldn't get in. I think we listed three of them.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
Anderson is dual language

Budgeting changes had to happen. The discrepancy between conditions of schools like bellaire HS and many of the lower schools listed here to other HISD schools are like the difference between a first and third world country. HISD got away with that for too long

Maybe if more schools got a face lift and some extra funds there'd be less capping in what's got to be less than 10% of the schools in the district

Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Budgeting changes had to happen. The discrepancy between conditions of schools like bellaire HS and many of the lower schools listed here to other HISD schools are like the difference between a first and third world country. HISD got away with that for too long

Maybe if more schools got a face lift and some extra funds there'd be less capping in what's got to be less than 10% of the schools in the district
I agree with the budgeting changes. I'm pessimistic about HISD in general. I just don't see smart decisions being made at the state level or the school board level. No superintendent. People throwing around money they don't even have. Lots of agenda pushing...and I'm not even saying its bad agenda pushing. It just gets in the way of good decision making. I just don't think there's much of anyone to trust right now when it comes to schools. The board meeting vids are really good for newcomers to watch. Go back to 2014 and look for 4 hour meetings. You can get a really good sense of the city's challenges through them.

Personally, if I had the money I'd move to Spring Branch.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:11 PM

693 posts, read 1,099,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonyc View Post
Houston, WTH? How are you expecting to grow and attract educated newcomers if the good schools are this badly overcrowded?
You wrongly presume anyone at HISD gives a F about attracting "educated newcomers."

Take yourself down a notch and get in the back of the line. That's "Houston."

Old 06-25-2016, 08:23 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Remember some people don't have a lot of time. It may be best to:

* A. Directly link to each and every board member video that's relevant and
* B. give a time frame (say 5:12-7:12 or so) in which one should pay attention to the meeting

This makes our jobs easier: we know exactly where the "gold" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leharper View Post
Honestly, I would not move into HISD right now. The current school board is openly hostile to middle class kids. Maybe they're right and "what's good for the goose is good for the gander," but at the end of the day, I've got kids I have to get educated. If you want to see what I mean, google for HISD Board Meeting Video and watch some of the recent board meetings.

I believe the board voted to evaluate all attendance boundaries recently too--and zones will likely change. It's just a really unstable educational system right now.
BTW if the schools in the "nice" parts of HISD are getting overcrowded - that's a good thing. You may want to ask all the public schools in North Dallas, home of 99% of Dallas's private schools, which are unable to attract just about every rich North Dallasite.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Somebody just messaged me bringing up Highland Park High School in the Dallas area, saying my point about North Dallas schools isn't true because of that.

Uhm, Highland Park ISD is an exception, a very gerrymandered exception. When you look at DISD my point is very, very true.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 AM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Somebody just messaged me bringing up Highland Park High School in the Dallas area, saying my point about North Dallas schools isn't true because of that.

Uhm, Highland Park ISD is an exception, a very gerrymandered exception. When you look at DISD my point is very, very true.
Highland Park is a separate school district.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Highland Park is a separate school district.
Yes. It would be like if River Oaks had its own carefully cut-off school district from HISD. The fact that these wealthy areas are in HISD increases the district's small % of white students Dallas Vs. Houston: How The Two Biggest School Districts In Texas Match Up – Houston Public Media

Quote:
And Dallas has about 160,000. Its student body is poorer, more Latino and a little less white. That’s partly because some of the richest, whitest neighborhoods are in a separate district, Highland Park, while in Houston, the kids from the tony neighborhood of River Oaks are zoned to city schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston