Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,343 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'll be relocating to Houston, and we are trying to finalize a house to rent. We did all the searching and found a place we are interested in. I reached out to the real estate agent who the landlord hired (we do NOT have a real estate agent). We are close to pulling the trigger, but then the real estate agent asks us for a check to pay him some fee (he's going to get back to me on the amount).

It was my impression that the landlord pays fees to the agent, not the occupant? Is it just different in Houston? And if it is standard for the renter to pay the agent fees, what is fair or standard?

Thanks in advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
The owner/landlord should be paying the agent

Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,675 times
walk away, find another place. Sounds like a difficult landlord already coming after you or things he should pay.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:10 PM

19 posts, read 15,814 times
Depends what the "fee" is. You are responsible for application fees which will be for your background/credit check. This is usually in the region of $30 to $50 per person over the age of 18 living in the home. The landlord will pay the actual Realtor fee.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:10 PM

128 posts, read 215,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhim View Post
Hi guys,

I'll be relocating to Houston, and we are trying to finalize a house to rent. We did all the searching and found a place we are interested in. I reached out to the real estate agent who the landlord hired (we do NOT have a real estate agent). We are close to pulling the trigger, but then the real estate agent asks us for a check to pay him some fee (he's going to get back to me on the amount).

It was my impression that the landlord pays fees to the agent, not the occupant? Is it just different in Houston? And if it is standard for the renter to pay the agent fees, what is fair or standard?

Thanks in advance for the help
Not standard at all. I've lived in three different rental houses within Houston in last few years, and never had to pay the agent fee (we did pay some $25 or something like that with application for them to run credit/security check) to either my realtor or landlord's. If I were you, I'd walk away as this could be a sign of worse things to come (usually happens when landlord doesn't want to pay out of his pocket on anything)..

Last edited by bazookabang; 06-13-2016 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 06:23 PM

137 posts, read 216,384 times
If you are an applicant there is typically a application you will have to complete along with that application there is a application fee used to run your backing including your credit, rental, and criminal history.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,343 times
So the dude is trying to get me to pay first month's rent to him (in addition to first month's rent to landlord)?????? I'm guessing something fishy is going on here. Thanks for your advice!

Old 06-13-2016, 06:42 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhim View Post
So the dude is trying to get me to pay first month's rent to him (in addition to first month's rent to landlord)?????? I'm guessing something fishy is going on here. Thanks for your advice!

A months rent in a fee is typically the owner's responsibility, why would you pay a realtor a months rent?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 PM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
You need to ask him exactly what are the "fees". Typically there will be application fee $25-50. Then you need to pay a security deposit (usually same amount as month's rent). And also pay the first months rent.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 PM

11 posts, read 11,765 times
You should not pay the landlords agent commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: