Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:52 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by therestofus View Post
I'm looking to buy under that March median.

Someone mentioned this forum not being representative of average/median buyer in Houston and I agree strongly with this. Most of the people searching for houses here are looking in to well over the median home price mentioned above. With that said, in my price range, will it ever turn in to a buyers market?
Sorry to say, but no. Under $150k in good neighborhoods is a STRONG sellers market and I don't see any reason that will change any time soon. In fact, a lot of good neighborhoods that were sub $150k a few years ago are approaching $200k+ quickly.

I look for/buy investment properties in the sub $125k range so I'm pretty familiar with this segment of the market.

My recommendation for people looking under $150k is find something you like and buy it and don't look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 AM

58 posts, read 57,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Sorry to say, but no. Under $150k in good neighborhoods is a STRONG sellers market and I don't see any reason that will change any time soon. In fact, a lot of good neighborhoods that were sub $150k a few years ago are approaching $200k+ quickly.

I look for/buy investment properties in the sub $125k range so I'm pretty familiar with this segment of the market.

My recommendation for people looking under $150k is find something you like and buy it and don't look back.
Thank you for your advice.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 AM

74 posts, read 86,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post

That's been our experience as well. We've been looking for about 6 months and have come to realize we just can't get a house we want in a neighborhood we want, in the Houston area, and rental prices are even worse. We're going to have to relocate in a few years once we're out of "job hopping" territory - our income (50k) just doesn't cut it here.

Which isn't to say that nice houses don't come up in that range, but all of the offers we've made have been beat by cash investors.

So MY advice for a fellow <150ker is, write an offer on anything you'd consider living in, and hope something sticks. Don't get attached to a house until you have an accepted offer. And Good luck!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:20 AM

58 posts, read 57,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledoppelganger View Post
That's been our experience as well. We've been looking for about 6 months and have come to realize we just can't get a house we want in a neighborhood we want, in the Houston area, and rental prices are even worse. We're going to have to relocate in a few years once we're out of "job hopping" territory - our income (50k) just doesn't cut it here.

Which isn't to say that nice houses don't come up in that range, but all of the offers we've made have been beat by cash investors.

So MY advice for a fellow <150ker is, write an offer on anything you'd consider living in, and hope something sticks. Don't get attached to a house until you have an accepted offer. And Good luck!
Thank you, it seems like I will get pre-approved sooner than later then.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 AM

567 posts, read 1,621,650 times
Ask me in a month - putting my house on the market tomorrow (<350k range).

Old 06-16-2016, 12:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledoppelganger View Post

This^

I'm one of those <150k'ers
Bought my 3-2-2 home Feb 16, 2015 for 130k (Northwest area, by Cole Creek Manor)
Home was 5 years old with builder grade innards, I bought it from an older retired couple...not enough time to jack it up, it was very clean.

Due to a crapola neighbor I put that home on the market Friday morning Feb 12, 2016.

By Saturday afternoon 5:30pm Feb 13th I had about a dozen offers. The all cash offer for 140k won out. They wanted in by Feb 26th. Challenge accepted and completed.

If you see something OP get your offer in ASAP. Anyone that stews on about it will miss out. Good luck

Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
[/b]

This^

I'm one of those <150k'ers
Bought my 3-2-2 home Feb 16, 2015 for 130k (Northwest area, by Cole Creek Manor)
Home was 5 years old with builder grade innards, I bought it from an older retired couple...not enough time to jack it up, it was very clean.

Due to a crapola neighbor I put that home on the market Friday morning Feb 12, 2016.

By Saturday afternoon 5:30pm Feb 13th I had about a dozen offers. The all cash offer for 140k won out. They wanted in by Feb 26th. Challenge accepted and completed.

If you see something OP get your offer in ASAP. Anyone that stews on about it will miss out. Good luck
Nice. I see the demographics for Cole Creek Manor and understand why you sold your house so successfully. This kind of area is really hard to find. Probably most unique area in Houston. Wow, this area is really a hidden gem. I have no idea why I don't hear about this area here on this forum.

I bought for 125K, but in North Katy. Same age house, excellent condition, doesn't need any TLC, just plug and play. Planning to move hopefully by the end of this year, but not sure if I will get offers as good as you.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:26 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Here in the Meyerland Willowbend Westbury area if there is a remodeled home for sale for a decent price it will not sit on the market 3 months

Old 06-16-2016, 03:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Here in the Meyerland Willowbend Westbury area if there is a remodeled home for sale for a decent price it will not sit on the market 3 months
Yes, especially if it's under 150K I'm pretty sure about it

Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Yes, especially if it's under 150K I'm pretty sure about it
No I am talking about $400k to $550k. If is it is a 2200 2500 sqft home that has been remodeled people might think something is wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston