Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 4,321 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Houston in a few weeks and are debating flying our dog vs. driving 1500 miles? She is 10 and will be evaluated by a vet and if good to fly we will try to see our options. It's a hard decision! Has anyone flown or driven such a far distant with an older dog?

Thanks in advance for advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:55 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
If there is room in your car I would absolutely drive with her. Flying would be terribly stressful. Just stop frequently to stretch and refresh with food and drink. Find a pet-friendly hotel for an overnight stop or two. It should be fine.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Agree. I would drive her.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I'm not trying to scare you, but you might want to read a few articles like this

[URL="http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/is-taking-your-pet-on-an-airplane-worth-the-risk-6241533/?no-ist"]Is Taking Your Pet on an Airplane Worth the Risk?
[/URL]

and

[URL="http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2015/11/delta-will-no-longer-make-pets-fly-as-cargo/"]this one[/URL] before making your decision. Also, the [URL="http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/traveling_tips_pets_ships_planes_trains.html?refer rer=https://www.google.com/"]Humane Society[/URL] recommends considering all alternatives if possible. Traveling by car is definitely a better option. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-19-2016, 08:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Driving would be a chore, but I would choose the safety of my companion over convenience.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:34 PM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
I have not flown a senior dog, and I wouldn't. Though I have flown a healthy 4 year old dog. I have driven a 14 year old, and 12 year old dog from CA to NY. And a 12 year old dog from CA to WY, with no issues. I LOVE La Quinta Inns, no pee smell covered up by chemicals, and nice rooms. I travelled with 3 dogs at one point, and with 4 dogs twice (across the country. Just plan ahead, one of mine had to take drama amine even for short trips.
Driving IMO is much easier than the stress, and hassle of flying a dog if it isn't 100% necessary.
Flying into or out of Texas this time of year might not happen anyway.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 PM

277 posts, read 304,956 times
We are bringing three dogs and three cats in 2 cars with us...if you are coming down through TN/AL..we'd be happy to bring her with us We have flown a 7 year old dog from ATL to Seattle...she made it okay, but I vowed I'd never do it again, she was a wreck and wouldn't eat for several days...we leave July 18th...if you need your loved one needs to hitch a ride with us
Safe travels!!

Old 06-19-2016, 08:49 PM

213 posts, read 303,653 times
Drive and get some happy dog pills from the vet. I've heard they're available and the dog will be calmer. Sleepy sleepy the whole way. That's not doggy torture, that's smart and you can have eyes on your dog. One more thing, there are flying restrictions for dogs during the summer. May not even be allowed right now. Those dogs can sit on the Tarmac for awhile and overheat. Texas is not Maine. So hot.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomashouse View Post
We are relocating to Houston in a few weeks and are debating flying our dog vs. driving 1500 miles? She is 10...

Please heed the advice to drive. Not only is flying very stressful but the heat on the tarmac here in Houston during the summer can be a killer. And then there are the baggage handlers who throw the dog's crate around and cause the door to fly open or the crate to come apart.

If you do fly your dog, please write a note to the pilot, explaining how old and sweet she is -- and include a photo of her. I always did that when I had to fly my dog. It helps if the pilot is aware that there's a dog in the cargo hold and it really seems to help it the pilot sees a photo of her.

But, again, please dont take any chances with your old dog. The last time I flew my older dog, the plane hit turbulence and his crate was apparently thrown around, in addition to probable rough handling by the baggage handlers. He hurt his neck and back and was never the same after that flight.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Airlines have a temperature limit at both departure and destination airports which I believe is 85 deg F as the animals can may be left on the tarmac for a period of time. So, at least on the Houston end, I doubt you'll be able to fly it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston