Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it ok for neighbors to walk their dog on your lawn?
Totally fine as long as they're courteous. 38 60.32%
Eh, don't care either way. 5 7.94%
Ew, no. My lawn is a dog free zone. 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I'd rather they didn't go on my lawn.
See, our sidewalks have the lawn on one side and a strip of grass on the other (then the street). Go on the strip side, please.

But at least pick it up. Then whatever. Not ideal, but at least you tried.

Failing both, I will pick it up and deliver it back to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 11:03 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
The burn spots from dogs peeing is why we ripped ours out.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM

15 posts, read 11,214 times
As a dog owner myself I'm fine with that as long as they are cleaning up and sticking close to the curb. Not so keen on those who use long extendable leashes and let the dogs wander a long way into the yard - I almost hit a dog one morning when backing out and it stepped from the yard onto the drive, a good 30ft from the street. I'm not used to looking for cars, people or animals that far back!

There's a guy in the neighborhood who has a couple of "no dogs on lawn" signs in his front yard, then proceeds to take his four dogs out for a walk down the street on other people's lawns...

Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 4,405 times
When I first moved to Houston, I lived in Rice Village for several months. The apartment complex banned everyone from letting their dogs relieve themselves on the property so the only option was to go across the street into the neighborhoods. Huge PITA.

Us dog owners had to take our dogs to the neighborhood across from Punks/Copas restaurants. I guess so many people were doing it that one particular guy FREAKED out when he saw my little chihuahua pooping on his "yard." I say "yard" because it was a corner strip of grass across the sidewalk. Not even on his proper yard. I had the bag on my hand ready to pick it up - not like I was going to leave it. Never heard so many curse words in my life - I felt verbally assaulted. That really shook me up... ended up breaking my lease and moving out.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,682 times
Please keep your dog off my lawn. Otherwise I WILL go outside and get in your face. Even if you pick it up. The urine burns holes in the grass. And even if it did not - it is not your bloody property.

Doesn't hurt a bit for them to **** or crap on the street. Which is what mine does when I walk her. I never let her walk on other people's grass much less mess on it.

Would you object if I walked around and took a **** in your yard? Why would you think a dog is different?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 4,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
Please keep your dog off my lawn. Otherwise I WILL go outside and get in your face.
Jeez. Don't you think asking nicely might get be more productive than getting in someones face?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:38 PM

277 posts, read 304,956 times
Quote:
Please keep your dog off my lawn. Otherwise I WILL go outside and get in your face. Even if you pick it up. The urine burns holes in the grass. And even if it did not - it is not your bloody property.

Doesn't hurt a bit for them to **** or crap on the street. Which is what mine does when I walk her. I never let her walk on other people's grass much less mess on it.

Would you object if I walked around and took a **** in your yard? Why would you think a dog is different?
I'd prefer not to have my children live next to you...wish we could get profiles of our neighbors before we move. There is reasonable and there is irrational..I think of all the big issues in the world, poverty, cancer, physical challenges, loss of life, automobile accidents requiring months of rehabilitation..and you would threaten someone physically for dog urine turning your grass? We have three dogs on an acre, they have urinated in the same area for 8 years, it's the same color green as all our yard...I would rather have a neighbor who loves their pet enough to walk them than care where deposits are made.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:

We have been walking our dog for almost 11 years and ALWAYS pick up after her; and in all that time, we have had exactly three people object to our dog relieving herself on their lawns. One was nice about it, and two were not. In all three cases, however, we took mental note of the address and made sure that she did not "trespass" again.

However, it makes me wonder why some people "must" be so nasty about it. "Please don't let your dog on my lawn" works just as well (or better) as yelling, "Get your damned dog off my lawn!!" As about 75% of people either think it's okay or don't care either way (according to this poll and my own observations), I think it is not unreasonable to think that most people don't object, -- as long as the poop is picked up, of course.

Really, is it too much to expect to be asked or even told nicely, instead of just being yelled at? Or, better yet, as someone else suggested, perhaps you could put up a sign (although, of course, that would mean a smallish hole in your yard).

Old 06-28-2016, 05:14 PM

676 posts, read 931,941 times
Quote:

If you got in my face like you say, you'd be dealing with other issues as I would take that as a threat and you would be needing an ambulance. It works a whole lot better if you ask nicely.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:18 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:

Letting your dog poop in the street and not picking it up is pretty crass. So I guess I see why a get in your face tactic comes first. Most people who pick it Up don't like their dogs to go on lawns bit sometimes it happens. Like I said, when it does I at least try and restrict them
To the strip between the sidewalk and street. If someone's dog goes on my lawn and they don't scoop -- if I'm out when it happens I will say oh I see you left your bags at home -- here's an extra please pick that up. Most comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: