Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:16 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
The doom and gloom reference was made towards the weather i lived in the great lakes region...lol I'm targeting Houston specifically for the climate because on the map it looks to be far enough south to where i wouldn't have to worry about snow or ice.

My potential employer looks to be just on the outskirts of the northside of the city so having to live inside of Houston proper is not a deal breaker for me nor would i necessarily want to. Currently, i reside just outside of Denver city limits and i can drive there whenever i feel the need which really is only once in a blue moon.

Im not looking for "big city life" im looking for peace and quiet after work. I just pulled up a bunch of listings off Zillow for Cypress and Tomball and they all look pretty good to me. Obviously, i would need to see to believe, but before i book a plane ticket can anyone give me a reason why i should or should not check out these areas?
You should to see for yourself if you can find a great quality of life on a smaller budget. There is absolutely no reason not too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 06:12 PM

39 posts, read 154,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
There is one house in Jersey Village for 190k: 16322 Jersey Dr, Jersey Village, TX 77040 - HAR.com its tiny and doesn't even appear to have central AC so make sure you know what your money buys you out here. Jersey Village is also out there a bit so you would need to drive to do anything in Houston..
I live in JV. I've made it to Minute Maid park from my house in 20 mins down 290...while construction is going on. I know it isn't in the loop but it isn't exactly the boonies either. You have multiple freeways to choose and you aren't very far from them either, which I am thankful for. IMO, JV is a great area. One of the biggest pluses for me was that the neighborhoods are established and you actually have trees in your yard. Our house was custom built in the 80s and have way more character than any of the the stuff being built today. Sure, we've had to put some money into it, but IMO its worth it.

I must admit I do not have to take 290 to work, which may skew my perception a bit. Once the construction is done It would be a little better.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Denver and abundant sunshine? You will apparently fry like a potato in houston then

Old 07-03-2016, 12:09 PM

133 posts, read 149,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Denver and abundant sunshine? You will apparently fry like a potato in houston then
LOL, This comment made me laugh. I don't know why people say there is abundant sunshine here in Denver... I am pretty sure they are not talking about the winter, but rather the summer. The summer is beautiful and sunny and the sun is very intense because of the high altitude. But in the winter, I feel it is only sometimes sunny (mostly cloudy) - and when it is sunny, it melts the enormous snow piles and turns to slush and black ice. And then it snows again and the cycle continues. Serious BOOTS needed!

I've been to Houston on vacation several times - twice in the summer and once in winter. I always found it sunny while there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston