Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times

Advertisements

Benders Landing (77386) is one of the premier communities north of Houston. We live in it and would recommend it without hesitation. However, it is only fair to note that wild hogs are a problem in the area. A fence is a must if you plan to live in the area.

This sunday for example (6/26/2016), we had about 300 sqf of grass uprooted by these beasts. They appear to be getting at the earthworms in the soil. I've applied grub-ex before but apparently didn't reply soon enough. Obviously, it is horrible to wake up to a portion of your yard uprooted like a bulldozer ran through it. We've been waiting to put up our fence together with our pool. We'll be forced to do it sooner as this is the third attack. And what if, like us, you don't want a fence all around the property? Well, then you'd have to pray they don't attack your front... Even if you fence your whole yard, your ditch and front will be open. The beasts uprooted a portion of the ditch's turf for a neighbor 5 houses up...

What I want to know is where are the authorities in all this? We pay 36% of our income to the feds (who run the US Fish and Wildlife Service) and 8.25% in sales tax to the state (who runs the Texas Wildlife agency) and $19,000 per year in property taxes. Shouldn't one of these government entities help? Do something?? That's a lot of money just to be bounced around on the phone like they're playing hot potato with my problem.

I think it should be the local county who should deal with the issue. $19,000 is a hefty amount. At a minimum, the Montgomery county should subcontract with local experts on the problem and try to discourage/trap/cull the animals in our community. They are out of control and it will only get worse at the rate they breed.

I am not done with my phone calls, but so far it appears a home owner is very much alone in this problem. At least I learned that the USDA is testing sodium nitrite as an agent to kill wild hogs and slow down their takeover. I hope Texas/Montgomery County takes the initiative and expedites the process. As one of the guys said: As far as wild hogs go, there are 2 types of counties in Texas: those who have a hog problem and those who are about to have one. The various government agencies should be doing more to perform their most basic of duties: protect citizens and their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM

280 posts, read 383,560 times
You will need to pay higher taxes if you want the county/state/feds to fix your wild hog issue. What you pay now doesn't even support all the other social programs those three have set up for perpetuity.

My advice is that you get a bow and harvest a few each week. The small ones are damn good eating.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:47 PM

225 posts, read 519,605 times
a rifle and a box of ammo could solve the problem, probably could find some people to do it for free if they can keep the meat

Old 06-29-2016, 02:56 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
a rifle and a box of ammo could solve the problem, probably could find some people to do it for free if they can keep the meat
A rifle, some feed corn and a bucket of Tannerite will solve it much faster.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds this post to be ignorant..? You build a house out in the woods, and then you complain about animals that live in said woods..
Agreed with the person that said your taxes will have to be raised if you seriously expect the county to handle your problems with wild animals.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds this post to be ignorant..? You build a house out in the woods, and then you complain about animals that live in said woods..
Agreed with the person that said your taxes will have to be raised if you seriously expect the county to handle your problems with wild animals.
Reminds me of a woman who lives in Cross Creek Ranch who complained about a potential Wal Mart near the subdivision, citing "this development is encroaching upon the Katy Prairie."

So what do you think your CCR 65' lot house is sitting on?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM

34 posts, read 53,985 times
We got those hogs last year in our neighborhood in Sienna too. The neighbors pitched in and hired a trapper to trap them. Talk with your neighbors and see if that is feasible . HOA or county won't do anything.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:13 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,771,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
^ this for sure. Search Craigslist. There are people that will camp out in your yard and take care of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
A rifle, some feed corn and a bucket of Tannerite will solve it much faster.
then it's over to quickly, nice boom. but over.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 AM

32 posts, read 30,228 times
Could you make a banh mi sandwich out of hog's meat?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 AM

34 posts, read 53,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeagoodneighbor View Post
Could you make a banh mi sandwich out of hog's meat?

Yes you can. One of the popular meats in there, jambon, is french style ham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston