Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Little Saigon District" What do ya think ?
I like it ! 23 57.50%
I don't like it ! 8 20.00%
I don't care either way 8 20.00%
Undecided 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:07 PM

52 posts, read 44,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm fine with Little Saigon although there are other names I would prefer, "little Indochina" for one might be more apropos, but do they really need 1.7 miles of Bellaire Blvd? The Gandhi District is about 1/3 that size along Hillcroft and a name like that is more inclusive as well. BTW Chinatown, in Houston anyway, is a informal designation as are most of these "Little" whatever's.
Omg Little Gandhi would be an amazing official name, and Little Asia might be more appropriate for the Bellaire strip, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:57 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Oh yes, any Arab-speaking immigrant would likely blend in well. Houston generally doesn't get a lot of people from the French-speaking Arab countries (Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria) and AFAIK the numbers of those from Persian Gulf Arab countries are relatively small. I was wondering where most of Houston's Arabs in particular come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxelipsus View Post
I would say any nation that primarily speaks Arabic, which would be Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt and several more in the Middle East, but nations that do not speak Arabic (such as Turkey, Iran, Iraq) are often lumped into the category, but I don't think people from those nations consider themselves Arabs, and would correct someone who said they were Arabs.

I know where "Little Persia" or "Little Tehran" is, it's on Westheimer near Belt 8.

"Little Colombia" is on Richmond near Gessner.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 PM

52 posts, read 44,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Oh yes, any Arab-speaking immigrant would likely blend in well. Houston generally doesn't get a lot of people from the French-speaking Arab countries (Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria) and AFAIK the numbers of those from Persian Gulf Arab countries are relatively small. I was wondering where most of Houston's Arabs in particular come from.
From what I've seen, there are plenty of Persians and Afghans and Pakistanis in Houston, none of which are Arabs, but all of which are often confused with Arabs. Some Lebanese, some Turkish, a little bit of everything else. The former two are generally considered to be Middle Eastern, whereas Pakistan is more often considered part of the SubContinent (India region) however where I come from (UK) it's also considered Middle Eastern and Arab (the latter is definitely incorrect, the former depends on who you ask but according to most Pakistanis it's incorrect too as far as I know).

And yes, there are very few North Africans in the US in general. Most of the North Africans living outside North Africa that I have met, were in Spain and France.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:52 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Some Franco-Maghrebians go to Quebec too.

It would seem like then Houston's Arab population's mostly from the Levant? (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, Israel)? How many are Egyptian?

Of the Pakistanis I wonder how many are Punjabi, Mujahir (people who came over from India in 1949), Sindhi, Pashtun, etc.

Of the Afghans I wonder how many are from each of the major ethnic groups (Pashtun, Tajik, Uzbek, etc.)

I would imagine most of the Iranians are Persian, but I wonder how many Azeris, Kurds, Armenians, and Arabs are in the mix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxelipsus View Post
From what I've seen, there are plenty of Persians and Afghans and Pakistanis in Houston, none of which are Arabs, but all of which are often confused with Arabs. Some Lebanese, some Turkish, a little bit of everything else. The former two are generally considered to be Middle Eastern, whereas Pakistan is more often considered part of the SubContinent (India region) however where I come from (UK) it's also considered Middle Eastern and Arab (the latter is definitely incorrect, the former depends on who you ask but according to most Pakistanis it's incorrect too as far as I know).

And yes, there are very few North Africans in the US in general. Most of the North Africans living outside North Africa that I have met, were in Spain and France.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
This could potentially turn that area into a tourist attraction.

Once you put up a name like that, people and media would start using it.

People that don't know Vietnamese food would go there for this. And the Vietnamese food here might be comparable to Los Angeles.

Right now only the Houston natives know that area is highly concentrated with Vietnamese.

As the 2nd largest Vietnamese population in United states, I think this will do wonders for the city.

The Vietnamese people have really bring their culture and assimilated into the city. From crawfish, nail salons, pho, and various other Vietnamese business that many of us have frequented in our daily lives.

As I said earlier, that are is borderline ghetto if the Vietnamese have not move in and build all those shopping centers and restaurants and supermarkets.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
It would do wonders, but ironically, Aleif is predominately Hispanic not Vietnamese.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It would do wonders, but ironically, Aleif is predominately Hispanic not Vietnamese.
I think it's a commercial standpoint, not resident. At least this will separate Chinatown from the Vietnamese predominate area which lies outside the belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston