Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:08 AM

26 posts, read 34,481 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I have lived in Houston for 2 years (currently in Rice Village) and need to be centrally located for our jobs. Prices in Bellaire and West U have been trending downwards but still a little out of our reach and with a kid on the way, we need some more space sooner than later.

Is anybody familiar with the Woodshire/Linkwood area? Our budget (800-900K) works in the area and the neighborhoods look cute with lots of people walking around. Any issue with safety? I saw a few apartment complexes near longfellow elementary but they look well kept. Longfellow is poorly rated but any decent private elementary schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 09:00 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
We have friends in Linkwood, and some others in Knollwood, which is adjacent. The area has improved tremendously over the last 15 years, to the point that I wouldn't have any concerns. We are in Meyerland, and the area you are looking was a close second for us (Longfellow ended up being the primary issue for us).

Another thought: I believe these neighborhoods' HOAs contract with the constable service. The response time is MUCH better than HPD, and they offer a vacation watch service, where they will go by your house daily when you are away.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
You can also use magnet schools.

I wonder if/when there will be a concerted effort to demo some of the lower income apartments in the Longfellow zone?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:36 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
You can also use magnet schools.

I wonder if/when there will be a concerted effort to demo some of the lower income apartments in the Longfellow zone?
I used to think so, but man these old complexes can hang on for a long time. Even in nicer areas of town, it takes forever. They have a low cost-basis, so the owners can get good cash flow even in a time of stagnant rent.

RE magnet schools: It gets harder every year to magnet into the best area schools. I don't think anyone should count on the HISD magnet program without a good fallback plan.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that the area is safe. The price is unbeatable for the location so paying for private elemenatry should be fine.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
RE magnet schools: It gets harder every year to magnet into the best area schools. I don't think anyone should count on the HISD magnet program without a good fallback plan.
I know some of the popular neighborhood elementaries have shuttered/are shuttering their magnets since there's not enough space. It seems like HISD opening the Mandarin (new location for 2016) and Arabic magnets may alleviate this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I used to think so, but man these old complexes can hang on for a long time. Even in nicer areas of town, it takes forever. They have a low cost-basis, so the owners can get good cash flow even in a time of stagnant rent.
I honestly would like to see some of the smaller six unit or so complexes to stay. I think that kind of thing may have a good family feeling...

Old 07-09-2016, 12:54 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times
Meyerland is a nice area get a house that is raised up up 6ft to 7ft you can get a nice 2500sqft 3-4 bed 2 to 3 baths totally remodeled and raised lower that your max. Here is another idea buy a house in Meyerland for $450k to $550k then spend $225k to $250k to raise it and remodel it total price under $800K

Old 07-09-2016, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times
Has flooding ever been an issue in this area (Woodshire)? It is in a 100 year flood zone, and I know that a lot of the newer homes are elevated but I wonder if it would be better to be in a 500 year food zone (like Westridge). It is confusing to figure out how to be prepared for flooding long-term since flood zones may be reclassified over time.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
Some homes in both woods hire and Linkwood flooded.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 PM

The houses we are looking at are elevated so hopefuly we will be okay. The houses we were able to afford in Braeswood/Bellaire were in the 100 year flood plain and were not elevated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston