Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,872,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
My question would be why. What does Sharpstown offer besides a wide selection of ethnic food? Its location isn't close enough to the center of town to make it special the way the Heights was. It has a massive crime problem in parts.

I really don't see what the appeal would be for yuppies (the demographic that typically does gentrifying). They typically target neighborhoods like EADO and the ones in Houston are huge inner loop snobs.
Pretty much the same appeal as Westbury. Relatively close in. Affordable compared to West U or Southhampton.

Sharpstown was a premier section of town not that long ago. 70s it was the place to be for upper middle class. 80s it was still pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 06:20 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
It'll never happen. First of all there aren't enough pretentious, uppity whites around to gentrify it like they did Oak Forest.
We will never have a shortage of these.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
My question would be why. What does Sharpstown offer besides a wide selection of ethnic food? Its location isn't close enough to the center of town to make it special the way the Heights was. It has a massive crime problem in parts.

I really don't see what the appeal would be for yuppies (the demographic that typically does gentrifying). They typically target neighborhoods like EADO and the ones in Houston are huge inner loop snobs.
What are you talking about? Its location is excellent. Sharpstown is next to Bellaire (sharpstown section 1 even borders some mansions in the bellaire area), 10 min drive to the galleria area, 20 min drive to downtown, close to sugarland as well. The homes are relatively spacious, high quality, and the neighborhood is very green with a very developed tree canopy. The food is unbelievable. Oh and the area is still cheap which is why it's booming at the moment.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,150 times
You can definitely find diamonds in the rough in Sharpstown.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
What are you talking about? Its location is excellent. Sharpstown is next to Bellaire (sharpstown section 1 even borders some mansions in the bellaire area), 10 min drive to the galleria area, 20 min drive to downtown, close to sugarland as well. The homes are relatively spacious, high quality, and the neighborhood is very green with a very developed tree canopy. The food is unbelievable. Oh and the area is still cheap which is why it's booming at the moment.
20 minutes from Sharpstown to Downtown/Midtown isn't an excellent location. The Sharpstown areas growth comes mainly from immigrants. Thats not a bad thing and fits the character of the area nicely.

Think for a minute about who typically gentrifies neighborhoods. Yuppies and the LGBT community. Those are two demographics that typically spearhead it. Those communities like to be close to the center of town. Thats why they tend to go into bad neighborhoods close to the core. EADO is a perfect example of that. Sharpstown is not a section of town those demographics would be interested in.

Look at other sections of Southwest Houston:

Myerland: Old Jewish suburb. Most people have been there for generations and the new additions are attracted by being right next to 610 and the Bellaire schools.

Willowbend: People are attracted by the proximity to the Medical District and most young families here work in the Medical Center or the Galleria Area. The elementary and middle schools are also good.

Westbury: There is a desirable area of Westbury and an area that isn't so much. The desirable area of Westbury is east of Hillcroft. As you go west from Hillcroft towards Sharpstown, the houses become less kept up and you get closer to low income apartments.

Sharpstown doesn't have the schools and doesn't have the proximity. It does have cheap houses and excellent food, but thats not going to be enough to draw large amounts of yuppies.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times
Why does it have to be LGBT? Oak forest was not turned over by this community it was families mainly. Spring Branch the same. The original housing stock in these areas is similar as well.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM

24 posts, read 42,098 times
I am one of those yuppies that have bought in Sharpstown. My morning commute to the office -door to door- mind you, is 9-12 minutes(galleria). It is quite marvelous! Then, when the day is over, I make a quick trek home, call my dogs in from the backyard, and stroll down streets covered in shade from he canopy of tree cover.

I am so glad I made the decision to buy an affordable home close enough into town. My colleagues stretch their six income salaries to live in cramped tin can homes in the loop. I get to barbecue on my deck outside on the weekends, max out my retirement and investment portfolios, and travel.

I actually hope others continue to look over this little gem of a neighborhood. It will keep the tax bills low and traffic away!

Last edited by cougarlaw11; 07-12-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Why does it have to be LGBT? Oak forest was not turned over by this community it was families mainly. Spring Branch the same. The original housing stock in these areas is similar as well.
It doesn't have to be. Re read my post.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times
^^ I get it. My bad.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,936,485 times
Sharpstown isn't necessarily as close-in as the Heights, for example, but it's still pretty close in relative to other suburban areas, especially for those commuting to Uptown or Westchase, which are major job centers. Plus it's a very quick drive from there to fun activities outside working hours in Upper Kirby, Montrose, Rice Village, CityCentre etc. So locationally it's pretty good - really no worse than Oak Forest.

And since Oak Forest, Meyerland, the Heights, Bellaire, Riverside Terrace etc. are becoming expensive (in spite of having had some pretty rough edges themselves or in directly adjacent areas), Sharpstown is a logical progression of gentrification. The ethnic diversity of the area has the potential to make it a broad-spectrum gentrification, not just affluent Anglos. I don't expect it to become expensive overnight, especially with the economy having slowed down, but continued long term growth and increasing property values in the urban core will lead it to happen eventually. Even Gulfton and the Richmond Strip will eventually change their profile - they're a bit stickier because those immigrant-occupied apartments throw off lots of cash - but at some point developers will find more value in redevelopment than keeping them as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston